Find
Notify
Tools

XBOX question Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have an XBOX One S I think. It mainly gets used for streaming stuff and BluRay stuff.

Looking at this XBOX Series X I think.

Looking on Amazon there is a $499 version and an $849 version.
Are they compatible 4K HD BluRay discs and do I have to get the $849 one to be compatible with all my old XBOX, XBOX 360, and XBOX One games?

Also do I have to spend hours downloading new crap anytime I want to play a game like I do with this XBOX ONE? Which is why I rarely ever play any thing.

And can I just play some gosh darn Counter Strike?? That was a joke. That was the last game I played with any seriousness and I miss it terribly.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
$499 is the normal retail for an Xbox Series X.

I don't see an $849 version on Amazon. Got a link? It's probably just a scalper/reseller offering it with a huge markup. Series Xs can be tough to find due to limited supply and high demand, so scalpers snatch them up at $499 when small batches of them become available at retail, just to try to flip them for a huge markup when there aren't any systems available through normal retail.

Any Xbox Series X will play 4K Blu-Rays, and is backwards compatible with many games. There's no "special edition Series X that costs twice as much" needed to get those features.

Yes, you will probably have to download multi-gigabyte updates for any games that you install. That's just how video games work these days. The basic release data is on the disk or initial download, but then there will be multiple large updates/patches to download and apply on top of that.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My XBox One plays Blurays and it's not an 'X' or anything else.

The download thing is a huge pain in the ass, especially if you go back to a game after a couple of months to pick up where you left off, but have to download a 3.5gb update for some shit you don't want, because you aren't interested in playing the new crap.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Spring for the Series X.
It'll play what you need.

Don't pay scalper prices. It's $499 new.
I got one at release and another one a short time later. I paid regular price.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8019 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So here is the $849 one that specifically mentions the backward compatibility.

Microsoft Xbox Series X 1TB - Backward Compatible with Thousands of Games, The Fast, True 4K Gaming, Ultra High Speed HDMI, Fine--Tuned Performance - U Deal https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0..._encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The $499 link makes no mention at all about the backward compatibility.
Xbox Series X https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...4FEKP07YDGM3GREHRBSB

I also presume the Series X will do all my video streaming services just like my XBOX One

————————————————

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
There are only two versions of the next gen MS console, the Series S and Series X.

The X is $499 retail. Anything else is a scalper / mark up. There is no other version or $849 version.

The $499 version is backward compatible

And yes whoever named these should be shot

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Excellent.
I have a ton of old XBOX games and my XBOX has long since died.

————————————————

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The only $900 XBOX SERIES X are those sold in my country Mad

You can use the Xbox One gamepads with the XBOX SERIES (S and X).

Main difference between S and X is that S lacks BR drive.
You also have better specs and drive capacity - a fast SSD instead of a regular HD - with X so in the end is a better pick for the $.

If you know anybody flying to Argentina and willing to bring me a Series X, i not only have the cash in hand but it will make this person my instant best buddy Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12107 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
Just to confirm what others said to reassure you, there is only one model of the X, it only goes for $499 from Xbox. The backward compatibility is a function they created and is built into the operating system not the machine itself. It’s also offered on Xbox One S you currently own. I bought quite a few old 360 classics on the Xbox store as I no longer have my old discs.

Sometimes they do offer packages or bundles for more money just like the older models where it might come with extra games or a painted Xbox but it’s still the same $499 model. Any others more expensive are from third party sellers marking up the price and writing their own description. Sometimes you have to look carefully at the “sold by” marking.

As for the updating thing, it’s just how it works. The updates provide new content, bug fixes, and ways to make the game run better. If you have automatic updates turned on it’s SUPPOSED to update in the background as long as the machine is on so it’s always ready to go when you are. Some games still do that but after a lawsuit right after Xbox one launched in 2013 some companies wanted the right to decide how their games update so we now have times where you go to launch and BAM, 10GB update waiting. Jerks lol.

Enjoy the new machine bud!

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
It’s also offered on Xbox One S you currently own.

I had no idea. Looks like you have saved me $500

————————————————

Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
It’s also offered on Xbox One S you currently own.

I had no idea. Looks like you have saved me $500

Good stuff! If that was the only reason you were going to upgrade then yea save the money. You may want to look over THIS wiki to see what games are supported and which can only be played with the disk. There are a ton available but many that aren’t supported is because they couldn’t secure the rights from the original companies or they aren’t around anymore.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post