SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    (Asimov’s) Foundation on Apple TV, coming soon…
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

(Asimov’s) Foundation on Apple TV, coming soon… Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Just discovered this on the menu.
Haven’t seen it brought to the Lair’s attention.

Anything you guys can tell me about this?
Read all the sagas back in my youth.

Got bored to death with Raised by wolves, too slow for my taste. Not making any progress with the Expanse either. I need this Wink

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I tried very hard to like The Expanse but there wasn't anything really likable about it - made it through season 1 and called it quits

Foundation should be good - that I will watch

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you can get thru season 2, the Expanse gets better and better,

I could have sworn we had a Foundation thread here ,, but searching google (sigforum foundation and sigforum asimov foundation) I found references to the book but not the show,

I don't have Apple TV, but may have to subscribe to watch,

I re read the trilogy last summer just to refamiliarize with it, and am looking forward to how they turn it into a series

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

If you can't watch Season 1 and get hyped about the battle the Rocinante has with the stealth ship, there's no hope for someone to enjoy any of the rest of the show.

As for the Foundation series, I read the novels when I was a young teen and can't even remember what they were about. I can only hope that Netflix doesn't absolutely butcher it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:

If you can't watch Season 1 and get hyped about the battle the Rocinante has with the stealth ship, there's no hope for someone to enjoy any of the rest of the show.

As for the Foundation series, I read the novels when I was a young teen and can't even remember what they were about. I can only hope that Netflix doesn't absolutely butcher it.

You read them but can't remember. But don't want them butchered?
I read the first book twice. It needs to be butchered.
I'm almost finished w/ his Robot series and I can't see anyone picking it up to turn into a movie. (I Robot aside)
I don't think the books translate well to film w/o being butchered, sad to say. IMO.

Posts: 7348 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:

You read them but can't remember. But don't want them butchered?
I read the first book twice. It needs to be butchered.
I'm almost finished w/ his Robot series and I can't see anyone picking it up to turn into a movie. (I Robot aside)
I don't think the books translate well to film w/o being butchered, sad to say. IMO.

the writing style is very time or era dated,

still, I think it could be done right,

looking thru IMDB and then over on the fandom wiki, I am not sure what direction they are going character wise

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I am a tremendous Asimov fan. There is no way you can take something like Foundation and turn it into a TV show in 2021 without butchering it to the point it is Asimov in name only. He was a brilliant mind, but his work was very much a product of the time and dated. They'll turn it into an action series.

Lord help us if Hollywood ever discovers Gordan R. Dickson's Dorsai series.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of radinski
posted Hide Post
The first 3 episodes were on last night. I watched the first one and outside of some initial casting questions on my part I thought it was a good start. It has been well over a decade or more since I've read the foundation series so I may be less exacting than some but I thought it was done pretty well.

Posts: 273 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: January 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the episodes available. Can't wait to see the next available. It's been a long time since I read the Foundation Novels so I can't comment on how good they are vs books but I really like what I've seen so far. Try not to judge, just enjoy good SCI-FI is my best advice. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post