SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A long shot question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long shot question Login/Join 
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted
I used to listen to radio stations that played a good portion of singer/songwriters (Lucinda Williams, Shawn Colvin, etc). I can't recall if it was WXPN (Philadelphia) or WYEP (Pittsburgh) but one of them played a song that I have been searching for without success.

It is sung by a female vocalist and has the lyrics "California, there are letters in your name pointing to the stars". I suspect it is a little known singer/songwriter.

The amount of knowledge on this forum continues to amaze me so I thought I would pose the question here. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Check out Wendy Maharry - California

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Check out Wendy Maharry - California

Thank you, that's the song.

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m a huge WXPN fan, they are a bright spot on a radio dial full of crap music.

My radio presets are all set to 88.5 FM only, it’s that or Spotify

They’ve introduced me to so much good music that I’d otherwise would have never heard on other stations. Had to laugh a number of years back when they started playing David Gray on some other station and acting like he was this new sensation they were breaking onto the scene when XPN had in fact done that and was playing him for years.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m a huge WXPN fan, they are a bright spot on a radio dial full of crap music.

My radio presets are all set to 88.5 FM only, it’s that or Spotify

They’ve introduced me to so much good music that I’d otherwise would have never heard on other stations. Had to laugh a number of years back when they started playing David Gray on some other station and acting like he was this new sensation they were breaking onto the scene when XPN had in fact done that and was playing him for years.

Thanks for the heads up on XPN, I will check it out. I have been listening to KEXP a lot and am looking for variety.

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
PA Sig, I couldn't agree more.

I grew up on rock and roll and still love good rock. However, I knew there was more to music and felt I was missing something. Around 1990 a friend suggested I give a listen to WXPN. I found that "hidden" music. The singer/songwriters (Lucinda Williams, Shawn Colvin, Happy Rhodes, etc.), music from artists like Loreena McKennitt that incorporate different instruments and scales along with the quirky and offbeat stuff. WXPN in Philly and WYEP in Pittsburgh are my go to stations.

I don't know if they still play it but the point (90.1) in Philadelphia used to play jazz. My wife and I would listen while reading the Sunday papers.

posted Hide Post
In eastern Iowa we listened to
K.A.A.Y. in Little Rock
And
W.L.S. In Chicago
This was back in the 1900's
On A.M. radio
And
K.I.O.A. in Des Moines

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54642 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
KOME 98.5...."the cum spot in the middle of your dial".

San Jose's (CA) best rock station back in the 70's and 80's.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post