SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What modern Country music could be and should be
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What modern Country music could be and should be Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Jason Isbell - love his stuff)

Perhaps the greatest songwriter of our time.

'Live Oak' is my favorite, followed shortly by 'Flying Over Water' and of course 'Elephant'.

If your life or your family has been touched by cancer, you need to hear 'Elephant'.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Chris Stapleton will be the man that single handily saves modern country music, all by himself. Amazing artist.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sturgill is pretty good. I was first introduced to him via his Tiny Desk performance.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Really like this version para, lots of cameos in this music vid too. Grew up on "Hootie" so always been a fan.

Darius was really good on Daryl's house. Seemed like a well-grounded guy.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdB-fGpR4_k

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
quote:
(Jason Isbell - love his stuff)

Perhaps the greatest songwriter of our time.

'Live Oak' is my favorite, followed shortly by 'Flying Over Water' and of course 'Elephant'.

If your life or your family has been touched by cancer, you need to hear 'Elephant'.

One of my southern friends has been on my case lately about checking out Isbell.

And he has similarly glowing praise about the guy's music and talents.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, I just like good music. I’ve been an aficionado of Texas Music for decades, going back to the days of Steven Fromholz, Willis Alan Ramsey, Jacky Jack, Michael Martin Murphey (in the days before he used his middle name), Gary P Nunn, Ry Cooder, Johnny Rodriguez, and yes, even Waylon and Willie. Nowadays, in addition to some of the ones SigM4 mentioned, I like Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, and honorary Texan, Chris Knight.

It’s all good, but I like to hear pedal steel and Telecasters in my Country Music.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Ultimately, I just like good music. I’ve been an aficionado of Texas Music for decades, going back to the days of Steven Fromholz, Willis Alan Ramsey, Jacky Jack, Michael Martin Murphey (in the days before he used his middle name), Gary P Nunn, Ry Cooder, Johnny Rodriguez, and yes, even Waylon and Willie. Nowadays, in addition to some of the ones SigM4 mentioned, I like Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers Band, and honorary Texan, Chris Knight.

It’s all good, but I like to hear pedal steel and Telecasters in my Country Music.

pat green was something else before nashville got ahold of him. he's still pretty good, though.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Waylon, Willie, Bocephus, Johnny, and similar company *are* Country Music, by real country people, and are the standards by which all others ought be judged.

There are few things worse, in the world of music, than a fake twang in ones voice. Nashville in its modern form has twisted the genre to unparalleled heights.

(I do love Ry's guitar work, he's fantastic)

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whether country or religious, you cannot beat Robert Randolph on the sacred steel. Blues, Rock, Country, Religion, he does it all.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Most of my music these days originates in Texas and Oklahoma. Reckless Kelly, Aaron Watson , Wade Bowen and the like are 99% of what I listen to.
I'm not sure exactly what Nashville is pushing these days, but it surely isn't country music.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

Whether country or religious, you cannot beat Robert Randolph on the sacred steel. Blues, Rock, Country, Religion, he does it all.

He was excellent live.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like Rucker, and I like "Wagon Wheel", but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone singing it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Most of my music these days originates in Texas and Oklahoma. Reckless Kelly, Aaron Watson , Wade Bowen and the like are 99% of what I listen to.
I'm not sure exactly what Nashville is pushing these days, but it surely isn't country music.

Amen, brother. Cheers to all the Texas music and alt-country fans.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
And, let's not forget Jerry Jeff!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Never

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Another Aaron Watson fan here.

Chris Stapleton has a new album coming on December 1st.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:

Never

You both missed this:
quote:
I’ve been an aficionado of Texas Music for decades, going back to the days of Steven Fromholz, Willis Alan Ramsey, Jacky Jack, Michael Martin Murphey (in the days before he used his middle name), Gary P Nunn, Ry Cooder, Johnny Rodriguez, and yes, even Waylon and Willie.

Don’t remember where I first heard Jerry Jeff Walker referred to as “Jacky Jack,” but it was a long time ago and I had the impression it was a common inside joke in Texas. Maybe not Wink

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Although I try to live in a Hootie Free Zone, I really like that song in particular and his other country stuff in general.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:

Amen, brother. Cheers to all the Texas music and alt-country fans.

Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen is one of my all time favorite albums.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post