SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Looking for Recommendations for a Good History of the Battle of Stalingrad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Recommendations for a Good History of the Battle of Stalingrad Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
In a recent thread someone had mentioned 'The Forgotten Solider' by Guy Sager. I got a copy, read it and really enjoyed it. Even though he did not fight at Stalingrad, it got me thinking that I would like to read a good history of that decisive battle.

My first thought was to look for a copy of Anthony Beevor's 'Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege', but was wondering what others thought of it, or if they'd recommend something different.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
William Craig's book was the go-to volume for many years, but has since been surpassed.

Of all the Stalingrad history books I've read, Anthony Beevor's would definitely be my recommendation as the best choice for a one volume comprehensive history of the battle.

David Glantz recently released a trilogy of books on Stalingrad, which I've heard are good and delve into the battle with even greater detail, but I haven't had a chance to read them yet.

After finishing Beevor, another Stalingrad book that you might also read is David Robbins' novel "War of the Rats". It served as the basis for the film "Enemy at the Gates" (which took it's title from Craig but it's sniper duel storyline from Robbins). It's fiction, but it's a fun read if you're interested in Stalingrad.

Posts: 33151 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a book strictly about Stalingrad - but another book from the perspective of a German Army soldier is 'Soldat'.

Have you ever read that? It's very good and unlike 'The Forgotten Soldier' is written from an officer's perspective so he has much more of a 'higher level' knowledge about what is going on around him. In terms of the various battles, fronts, troop / unit dispositions, political insight, etc.

I am interested in the responses also - the battle of Stalingrad is perhaps the most significant siege in the history of mankind. The scale of it is beyond understanding.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I'll second the recommendation for Anthony Beevor's book - it will make you realize how brutal the Battle of Stalingrad was.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
William Craig's book was the go-to volume for many years, but has since been surpassed.

William Craig's "Enemy At The Gates" is one of my favorite books. I haven't read any other non-fiction book on Stalingrad, so I can't really compare it to other works, but I can certainly recommend this one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30958 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I also read enemy at the gates and soldat. Enemy at the gates was good. It has the cover of the movie poster on it but dont be fooled, at lot of it is very different.

Soldat was interesting prespective for sure. Also read panzer leader by guderian another good one.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

I ordered both Beevor's 'Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege' and 'Soldat'.

'Enemy at the Gates' is currently on sale for Kindle - so I'll probably get that too. Razz

Posts: 6599 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post