SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Dire Straits Band
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dire Straits Band Login/Join 
Picture of lonestar outlaw
posted
The was one awsom band for many years
I first heard them in the late 70's was a fan instantly
Mark Knoffler was such a great guitarist
Was just curious if any of you liked the band as well

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I listen to this regularly. Awesome opening guitar.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^^ Figured that would be the song, as I clicked the link.
Good choice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great song to this day like so many other of their songs

100% Texagun

Posts: 37 | Location: East Texas | Registered: July 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Love 'em! Got the Brothers in Arms album, the whole album is good.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
Sultans of Swing Live is awesome

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have long been a fan - since the debut album. I saw them live once when I was in college on the Love Over Gold tour.

Knopfler still records as a solo act - there are many solo albums. He is also involved in a lot of movie music.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I saw a documentary on all the guitars Knopfler has and they were awsom

100% Texagun

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxfjSnMN88U

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Brothers in Arms” was the first CD I bought. My favorite Dire Straits track is “Lady Writer” — many great tracks to choose from. “El Macho” is a great Mark Knopfler solo track.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
My favorite live concert footage:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Wp2ASqyxI

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
My favorite live concert footage:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Wp2ASqyxI

excellent song, as well as Industrial Disease

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the band and Mark Knoffler as a musician/player BUT do not make the grave
mistake I did when in a record store years ago...

I found an record by Dave Knoffler, Mark's brother and figured WTF, talent must run in the family....Noooo!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpbhgSXZHGQ

Love it, Randy Quaid before he went off the deep end

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Romeo and Juliet is a good song, but good heavens that video is pure cheese.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Romeo and Juliet is a good song, but good heavens that video is pure cheese.

I hate I even watched it. The video ruined one of my favorite Dire Straits songs. Incidentally, Reckless Kelly does a GREAT version of Romeo and Juliet live occasionally.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Money for Nothing on MTV convinced me to buy my first CD and CD player. Up until then I was always a vinyl buyer. FWIW I never gave up on vinyl and still have a great setup for it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lonestar outlaw:
The was one awsom band for many years
I first heard them in the late 70's was a fan instantly
Mark Knoffler was such a great guitarist
Was just curious if any of you liked the band as well

Awesome! Knoffler is terrific. Also love when he played some duets with Chet Atkins, great stuff.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I wasn't much of a fan of Brothers in Arms, in particular Money For Nothing. I loved their earlier songs, Skateaway, Romeo & Juliet, Sultans of Swing. I also liked his guitar work on Dylan's Infidel album.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post