SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    If you're a horror movie fan, check out Longlegs.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you're a horror movie fan, check out Longlegs. Login/Join 
posted
Wife and I went on a movie date today.

We hadn't been to a movie theatre in probably four years, so we decided to pick from what was currently showing, and see what happens. Once we did a bit of reading on the options, Longlegs was the clear choice. It ended up being darn good. I'd recommend it for any horror fan. To give more perspective: I was/am a big fan of Hereditary. I thought Longlegs was almost as good, and stylistically similar.

As a warning, there is a pretty heavy satanic theme. The words "hail satan" are said three times. I am a Christian, and I find that a bit unnerving. So, I just wanted to give a heads-up on that aspect.

As an interesting potentially positive cultural note: the antagonist is apparently transsexual (or afflicted by some other form of gender confusion and sexual perversion). So, an alignment of transsexuallity with satanism gets no complaint from me.

Very wild (and good) performance by Nicholas Cage.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review and I definitely want to see his one! Nicholas Cage has been in some pretty wild horror movies including Mandy, Color Out of Space, and Willys Wonderland.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I thought it was okay. This is one of those Zoloft horror films. It's presented as quiet and ethereal, and everyone walks around like they're on antidepressants with their head encased in a giant cotton ball. It's people slogging through their jobs and their lives like they've been body snatched by aliens and talking all monotone.

Generally, I liked the starkness and mature tone. Nic Cage does Nic Cage, but luckily, his appearances are sporadic and not overused. Alicia Witt is always a welcome presence. Here, she's the antithesis of all her Hallmark Christmas movie characters.

My biggest problem with the film is the whole crime investigation. I don't buy that America's top law enforcement agency is investigating the case. This isn't a Thomas Harris FBI. This is more like the FBI sealed off from the outside world and behaving like a small town sheriff's department.

I got to meet Alicia Witt during her music tour this summer. Lovely and charming lady, and yeah, she can sing.

Posts: 5605 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is one of those Zoloft horror films. It's presented as quiet and ethereal, and everyone walks around like they're on antidepressants with their head encased in a giant cotton ball. It's people slogging through their jobs and their lives like they've been body snatched by aliens and talking all monotone.
In the first half, I was inclined to agree. I found some of the atmosphere, and the character of Lee a bit annoying, for the reasons you mentioned, and I agree that it seems to be a recurring characteristic of the contemporary horror genre.

**SPOILERS**

Her hazy condition actually later made some sense, IMO, once you learned more about the circumstances of her youth, and the potential for influence by the evil in her linked doll.

Posts: 2457 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post