SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movies that could not be made today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movies that could not be made today Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Link

Song of the South
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Blazing Saddles
Soul man
Birth of a Nation
Ace Venura, Pet detective
Star Wars 1, Phantom Menace
The Toy
Boat Trip
White Chicks
Airplane
Dangerous Minds
Scarface
Pretty Woman
Freebie & the Bean
Gigli
Heathers
The Conqueror
The Love Guru
A mighty heart
The Jazz Singer
Pretty Baby
Monster Squad
Holiday Inn
Home Alone
Bad News Bears
Midnight Cowboy
Taxi Driver
Dumbo
The Jerk
another link
Just One of the Guys
Animal House
Zapped
Revenge of the Nerds
Ghostbusters

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Anything good.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Another Mel Brooks movie (and one of my favorites) - The Producers.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Network.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Undercover Brother

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Risky Business

All the Presidents Men.

Animal House

Caddy shack

Most Monty Python works.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
Finian's Rainbow

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People have been comparing The Joker to Taxi Driver for a few weeks now. I'd say that means movies of that type are still acceptable to Hollywood.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Most of the early Bond movies...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
Pink panther movies with peter sellers

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Risky Business

definitely good one

thread drift : 20-ish Rebecca De Mornay? omg Eek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lg5fezriN8

-----------------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
People have been comparing The Joker to Taxi Driver for a few weeks now. I'd say that means movies of that type are still acceptable to Hollywood.

I never get these claims about "movies that couldn't be made today" anyway. Obviously if we're talking about classics from 30 years or more ago, that's manifestly true without any regards to political correctness and such. If they hadn't been made at the time, they would of course not be made in that exact way now. Original movies set in the respective present are always shaped by the culture, fashion, technology etc. of the day. If Hitchcock was alive today, his very same films would look entirely different even if they showed his typical style.

To a lesser degree, the same is true for historical settings, based upon the view and understanding of the respective period at the time. Westerns are not based upon the somewhat cheesy image popularized by "Old West" shows like Buffalo Bill's anymore, like they tended to before the advent of the Italo-Western. There are of course the nostalgic movies set in decades within living memory, which try to recreate the look and customs of the period more or less accurately. And then there's remakes, where there's no point in making the exact same film frame-by-frame again. Well, maybe except Hollywood remaking foreign movies to sell it to the domestic audience again, but those originals are usually not that old.

I don't really buy the PC thing either. In fact Monty Python's "Life of Brian" was highly controversial when it came out in 1979 for mocking the origins of Christianity. It had to be cut before general release, was the subject of religious protests by both Christians and Jews, banned from screening in several British towns and some countries (sometimes for decades), and not shown by the BBC for years. Compare to the 2010 "Four Lions" which gives the subject of Islamism - supposedly protected by PC - the same treatment. I'm sure there were people who took offense, and the movie took rather long to find a US distributor just for limited release, but the controversy was nothing like over Monty Python's work in the supposed "good old times".

Posts: 2406 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
So many of the movies of the 1930's have one liners that would not be acceptable to Liberals today despite being the normal in that era.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
Apparently anything that shows China in a bad light may never see a theater without significant edits.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The Shining, a Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket. Kubrick is rolling over in his grave right now.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I mildly disagree about "White Chicks" being on the list. Hollywood has no problem whatsoever about black men or women "dressing" in white face...just an issue with it the other way around.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
"Deep Throat" 1972

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Link

Song of the South
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Blazing Saddles
Soul man
Birth of a Nation
Ace Venura, Pet detective
Star Wars 1, Phantom Menace
The Toy
Boat Trip
White Chicks
Airplane
Dangerous Minds
Scarface
Pretty Woman
Freebie & the Bean
Gigli
Heathers
The Conqueror
The Love Guru
A mighty heart
The Jazz Singer
Pretty Baby
Monster Squad
Holiday Inn
Home Alone
Bad News Bears
Midnight Cowboy
Taxi Driver
Dumbo
The Jerk
another link
Just One of the Guys
Animal House
Zapped
Revenge of the Nerds
Ghostbusters

I don't understand the reason for some of the movies on your list. Some are obvious (Blazing Saddles) but why not Ghostbusters or Phantom Menace? (although I wish Phantom Menace had never been made in the first place!)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve said for years that a movie like Blazing Saddles could not be made today. However, the other night the wife and I sat down and watched Gran Torino again. It’s 11 years old but it is a little rough.

Posts: 901 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post