SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What favorite anagrams/mnemonics do you have for remembering lists?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What favorite anagrams/mnemonics do you have for remembering lists? Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I still remember this one from a geology course in college:

The periods of the Paleozoic and the Mesozoic eras: "Pregnant camels ordinarily sit down carefully, perhaps their joints creak."
(Precambrian Cambrian Ordovician Silurian Devonian Carboniferous Permian Triassic Jurassic Cretaceous)

Do you have any that you wanna share?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
My Very Energetic Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^
I finally figured it out, but it was astronomically difficult. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
ROY G BIV, of course, for the colors of the rainbow.

I don’t have to think about standard tuning for guitar any longer, but early on I used: Every Aardvark Drinks Green Beer Everyday

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally.

Specification for the order of arithmetic operations (parentheses, exponentiation, multiplication, division, addition, subtraction). If you write code, you'd better know these.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Every Good Boy Deserves Favor

Besides being the title of a Moody Blues album (where they spell it "favour"), this is a mnemonic that lists the ledger lines on the treble clef in music. (E, G, B, D, F).

Grizzly Bears Don't Fly Airplanes lists the lines (from the bottom up), G, B, D, F, A. If one wishes to better distinguish the bass from the treble, the open notes (spaces) on the bass clef can be remembered this way: All Cows Eat Grass (A, C, E, G).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
King Phillip came over for good soup.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I don't need to use either one any more. One nautical, one anatomical...

Go Rub Your Balls With Grease.

Colors of the flags spaced 20’ apart on the phone/distance line used between ships during underway replenishment. Green, red, yellow, blue, white, green...

Never Lower Tilly's Pants, Momma Might Come Home

Carpal bones in the wrist. Navicular, Lunate, Triquetrium, Pisiform, Greater Multangular, (Lesser) Multangular, Capitate, and Hamate

This message has been edited. Last edited by: feersum dreadnaught,

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I don’t have to think about standard tuning for guitar any longer, but early on I used: Every Aardvark Drinks Green Beer Everyday

The way I was taught was, "Eat All Dem Girls, Boy Eat'em." Big Grin

I also remember, and sometimes use the ancient indian mnemonic SOHCAHTOA.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Oh be a fine girl, kiss me.

The order of star types from hottest to coolest.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

I was taught, "Every good boy does fine."

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:
I also remember, and sometimes use the ancient indian mnemonic SOHCAHTOA.

I don't think I would have made it through trig and precalc without that one.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
King Phillip came over for good soup.

Karen Phillips comes only for Guy Smiley.

(Karen Phillips was a girl in my biology class. She later became my girlfriend during college. True story! Big Grin )

Posts: 5586 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Bad boys rape our young girls but violet gives willingly.

Resistor color-codes: Black, Brown, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Violet, Gray, White.

I'm sure it's been replaced by something more PC by now.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
HOMES

The names of the five Great Lakes.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Old Olympus Towering Top, A Fop And Glutton Vended Some Hops

Cranial nerves

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Kings Prefer Champagne; Others Find Gin Satisfactory.

(Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16362 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Tying a bowline knot: "The rabbit came out of the hole, went around the tree, and back down the hole again." (The "hole" is the first loop you make in the rope.)

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

I was taught, "Every good boy does fine."

and FACE to make the rest of the notes

Posts: 13274 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
On Old Olympus Towering Top, A Fop And Glutton Vended Some Hops

Cranial nerves

Interesting. I learned, "A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops".

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post