SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RED DAWN (1984)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RED DAWN (1984) Login/Join 
posted
“Boys...

AVENGE ME!

AVENGE ME!”

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
There were six of them. I *got* five.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Makes the list of it is SO BAD that it is funny. GO WOLVERINES!!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
My favorite movie.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a veritable 'historical document'

'Merica !!

Patrick Swayze was a master at this type of fun movie -- Road House, Point Break, Red dawn, etc

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
A couple fun facts about the movie:

- At the time the movie was made it held the record for the most/ largest explosions on film. Early on the residents of the tiny New Mexico town it was filmed in were happy to have the movie made there but, while filming the great desert tank/ aerial battle, the explosions were so large that several windows back in town were shattered and residents grew angry. The producer was forced to set up a trailer and have residents line up so that he could settle up claims for damage.

- The Russian tanks used were fabricated for the movie but were such accurate looking copies that it prompted a visit to the set by the CIA. Supposedly a satellite fly over had detected the tanks and the CIA wanted to know what Russian tanks were doing in New Mexico.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Still not sure why when the Colonel showed the Soviet pilot the hand grenade he dumped in the plane why the pilot didn't hit his ejector seat. He just sat there for a 5 count then blew up.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Still not sure why when the Colonel showed the Soviet pilot the hand grenade he dumped in the plane why the pilot didn't hit his ejector seat. He just sat there for a 5 count then blew up.

Weren't they in a hanger?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Camo netting over it only. I'd take my chances with the net.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, now I remember. Yeah, me too.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Just watched a documentary on John Milius. The screenwriter/director behind Dirty Harry, Conan the Barbarian, Apocalypse Now, Jeremiah Johnson,and Jaws among others. The movie Red Dawn (1984) caused him to be basically black listed by liberal Hollywood due to violence, kids with guns and fighting back by what they perceived as right wing extremists.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Ah, now I remember. Yeah, me too.

Were Soviet ejection systems 'Zero-Zero' on a likely aging MiG or Sukhoi fighter?

Yeah, yeah, I know. They would have helped themselves to Martin Baker technology just like they did in so many other things.

Personally, my friends and I F'ing loved how he took a moment to show it to the pilot before throwing it. Dosvedanya!

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Patrick Swayze was a master at this type of fun movie -- Road House, Point Break, Red dawn, etc

------------------------------------[/QUOTE] Don't forget the Outsiders.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
Just watched a documentary on John Milius. The screenwriter/director behind Dirty Harry, Conan the Barbarian, Apocalypse Now, Jeremiah Johnson,and Jaws among others. The movie Red Dawn (1984) caused him to be basically black listed by liberal Hollywood due to violence, kids with guns and fighting back by what they perceived as right wing extremists.

I may be wrong, but it seems like Mr. Milius back in the day was one of the folks appearing on the back cover of The American Rifleman magazine's "I'm the NRA" ads. I have the movie on VHS, but not DVD.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Corny to think back on now, but my buddies and I went to see that movie together. We had multiple semi-serious teenage conversations afterward (for several weeks) about our plans for bugging out, where we'd hide and how we'd fight the Reds if they came to south MS.... Funny to think about now.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t want to go to South MS. Can’t imagine why the Reds would have wanted to. Razz

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Wolverines!!!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36841 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I don’t want to go to South MS. Can’t imagine why the Reds would have wanted to. Razz

But, if I remember the movie correctly they were stopped at the Wyoming border.

PC

Posts: 1339 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I probably saw this movie 20 times when I was a kid. I watched it recently with my Russian wife and it was a completely different experience.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I probably saw this movie 20 times when I was a kid. I watched it recently with my Russian wife and it was a completely different experience.

Please, you need to tell us about her reaction.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post