SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Spotting Scope suggestions needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope suggestions needed Login/Join 
posted
Looking for ideas on a target shooting spotting scope for 100 to 200 yard rifle range.

Looking for good quality without breaking the bank. Previously bought a budget model off Amazon thats really only good for bird watching at best.

Walking to the target to inspect hits just doesn't work to well and interupts the other shooters.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Previously bought a budget model off Amazon thats really only good for bird watching at best.

I don't have the experience to provide a useful recommendation, but found this comment amusing - serious birdwatchers are, as a group, more fanatically obsessed with optical performance than anyone else I have come across.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Previously bought a budget model off Amazon thats really only good for bird watching at best.

I don't have the experience to provide a useful recommendation, but found this comment amusing - serious birdwatchers are, as a group, more fanatically obsessed with optical performance than anyone else I have come across.

Trust me its not the caliber optic that a serious birdwatcher would want. It the only use I could spin it as possibly useful for.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

+1

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting with open sights?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for ideas on a target shooting spotting scope for 100 to 200 yard rifle range.

Looking for good quality without breaking the bank. Previously bought a budget model off Amazon thats really only good for bird watching at best.

What does "Not breaking the bank" mean to you? Depending on who you are that is a wide range. So need a specific budget amount.

I use Shoot and See targets and have no problems seeing hits at 200yds shooting a 5.56 using a Nikon 13-30x50ED Fieldscope. But if I am shooting cast bullet shoots with my M1(30 06) at 200yds on a paper target I use my Pentax 80EDA with a 20-60x eyepiece. But I am going to switch to a fixed Pentax XW20 eyepiece(27x).

You are also going to need a good tripod or bench mount. A cheap tripod with allow too much movement to get a good image. I prefer a bench mount when I am shooting off a bench.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bench...-Stand-/302946961673

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For ranges like that, might try a vortex diamondback or something from vanguard.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Walking to the target to inspect hits just doesn't work to well and interupts the other shooters.

quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Shooting with open sights?

To expand upon offgrid's point -- IMO the best spotting scope is the rifle scope we use to aim with. Assuming, of course, the shooter is using a scope.

A quality scope with clear glass and adequate magnification provides immediate feedback to the shooter, without breaking position. Target type helps, too. Assuming paper targets are used, a simple white heavy paper with small aiming dots usually shows impacts well. Another option is some type of shoot-n-see target.

I recommend investing in the optics on your rifle first, then down the road consider a spotting scope -- if still necessary.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You can buy a used Nikon for a song and a dance usually. I am not an expert on them but look for one made in Japan. You will get a good optic at a more than fair price and it will be well made.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Open iron sights. Wanting to look at target to see where I'm hitting.

Edit. M1 doesn't accommodate scope but AR would.

I'm looking for one of those bench or stand mount monocular type spotters.

Trying to sight in several m1s and ar's most are iron sight. I have eotech that doesn't really need sighting in. But have a vortex SPARC at red dot that does needs sighting

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I use an old Bushnell on a Freeland bipod when shooting hi power, or general range use,

20x, maybe, and is clear,

I have also used a bushnell spacemaster that was variable, and worked well,

cannot remember what my Unertl is , power wise, have not had it to the range, yet,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info..

posted Hide Post
Have you considered some of those short-range video cameras?

I remember seeing an ad for one. The camera endand transmitter are housed in what looks like a ammo can.

Your phone or tablet are the receivers.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
If $500 isn't too much for you I'd recommend the Leupold GoldRing 15-30X50 Spotting Scope Kit. Here a link to a youtube review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0xf_uCQrTs

and a place to purchase it

https://www.gearbuyer.com/site/index.html.

I've used mine for spotting 223 and 308 hits on targets out to 200 yard which is my range limit. Excellent resolution and clarity.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Following this. In the next year I should get into a private range with 300 & 500 yard steel.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Kowa. Not european glass prices, but very crisp

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
Have you considered some of those short-range video cameras?

I remember seeing an ad for one. The camera endand transmitter are housed in what looks like a ammo can.

Your phone or tablet are the receivers.

Hope this helps.

Jake

I use TargetVision.

Posts: 94 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post