SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who has bought the Gen 2 Galil Ace pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has bought the Gen 2 Galil Ace pistol? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
I’m a hankering. Going back and forth between it and the M92 but I’ve wanted the Galil Pistol in 762X39 since it first came out. The gen 2 just poured gas on the fire.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I have been drooling over the Gen 2 7.62x39 Pistol as well. I ordered one from Krebs Custom yesterday, as it was the only one I'd seen in stock in 6-months+. I just can't get myself to buy the full sizes as they seem ludicrously heavy, though the pistol is far from lightweight.

I even preemptively ordered the KNS gas piston as I hear they are overgassed to the max.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, but have handled them. IMO, the classic Galil is rad; the ACE is meh. I'd try to find an early ACE, if I was in the market for one. The M-Lok handguard is clunky, and the lack of irons is lame, IMO. I'd rather have a nice AK. If your budget permits it, you might consider a 553R as well.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
I have been drooling over the Gen 2 7.62x39 Pistol as well. I ordered one from Krebs Custom yesterday, as it was the only one I'd seen in stock in 6-months+. I just can't get myself to buy the full sizes as they seem ludicrously heavy, though the pistol is far from lightweight.

I even preemptively ordered the KNS gas piston as I hear they are overgassed to the max.

Please let me know how you like it when it comes in. You planning on putting a can on? That’s definitely my plan.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The plan is definitely to suppress it. I have an OSS 762-QD and a Dead Air Sandman in suppressor jail right now.

The plan is to start with the Sandman, and if it still too violent, switch to the OSS. The later having worse sound suppression, but much easier on the gas system.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
IMO, the classic Galil is rad, and the lack of irons is lame, IMO.

Agree with this. I was recently looking at the ACE 1 7.62x39 pistol as a Valmet/Sako substitute. I really like the Gen 1 with RS regulate rail, plastic delete, and surplus stock swap.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the Gen 1 Galil ACE, did the RS Regulate rail, KNS plastic delete, ALG trigger, yada yada yada. It's my favorite 7.62x39 platform currently by a LONG SHOT. Great gun, well built, surprisingly accurate, just a tank. My AK feels like hot garbage next to it. It's the winner in the entire 7.62x39 category right now.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I definitely wish I taken the opportunity to pick up the Gen 1 pistol when I had the chance then add an RS regulate rail.

I didn't like the rail or the brace on the Gen 1, and while Gen 2 lacks the sights, and the rail is not optimal, I prefer the rail to the stock Gen 1. Also, I like the look of the SBA3 better. Despite the single position tube.

Edited to add: the 7.62x39 Gen 1 also had the flared magwell that made drum mags a no go unless you trimmed or added the delete kit. No bueno.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Krebs delivered my Gen 2. Feels great. The right side selector is extremely stiff. It's heavy, but not as heavy as I was expecting. Will either add some Troy Micro Battle Sights or wait until CZ gets their low Scorpion sights back in.

Edited to Add:

As many know, the buffer tube on the Gen 2 Galil Ace has only ONE lockable position for the brace. FYI the Buffer tube is "pinned" in with a T8 screw. No biggie. Removing the castle nut may be a bit difficult, so putting some Breakfree or penetrating oil on the exposed threads and letting gravity work its way in overnight may be the best thing. Then you could use a hair dryer heat it up for about a minute. Castle nut and buffer tube should break free and clean.

Then you'll just need a replacement tube with more than the neutered 1-position, and possibly a castle nut.

posted Hide Post
They are excellent. KNS piston makes for a great suppressor host. Magpul Zhukov stock is perfect on it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I vote ZPAP......parts for days. Good luck getting IWI parts when they drop it.

Text me Smile

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post

One issue with the 1-position buffer tube is when folded the SBA3 can interfere with the ambi-safety. If you were inclined to change to a 5/6 position tube, you could position the brace to clear the safety selector when folded.

This would also add the benefit of allowing the brace to fold closer to the receiver.

I am considering order an SBA4 in OD green to match the AFG2.

Edited to add:

Installed the KNS Gas Piston. No real issues. The big difficulty was getting the top cover back on. A rubber mallet goes a long way.

Dropping the Galil off today, at my local gun shop, to have a DA flash hider installed. Thought I had a spare MB, but no dice. FH it is.