SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend an AR trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend an AR trigger Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Looking for a smooth trigger that's got enough spring behind it to reliably detonate hard surplus 7.62x51 primers.

For an SBR AR10. Lower is currently built out with the DPMS trigger that came with a build kit. Too gritty. For kicks I tried the same surplus in my fancier AR10 with an Elftmann Tactical trigger in it and it didn't even remotely have the sack to detonate those primers.

I've got a factory LMT trigger group laying around I might try, but what are some other options that will give me a nice smooth pull but be heavy enough for the job? Maybe try an ALG or something?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
My DD-M4-V11 AR has a Larue MBT in it----never failed me.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4556 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger two stage trigger in my .308, smooth with a 3.5 lb break.
In my AR15 I have a Centurion Arms two stage, pretty smooth as well with a 4.5 lb break.
Both are about $95

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Larue. The MBT-2S is a bargain at $99 and it also comes with an add'l 'Heavy' spring (6# total pull wt vs 4.5# std) in case you desire a little more pull weight.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8756 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two of the POF straight trigger that break cleanly at 3.5 lbs and have detonated every primer they have hit.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I have a Larue MBT2S flat trigger in my AR and have been very happy with it. I just recently put a Timney 2 Stage in my AR10, model 662S. I'm not super excited about the set screw tension that holds the pin in place (I already lost a pin) but it definitely has an expensive trigger feel. It is only slightly lighter than the Larue, on paper.

Side note, I did just put some new MBT-2S's on sale in the classifieds.

edited- the Larue's also come with an additional heavy spring, which will increase the pull to 6lbs but should also help with hard primers.. I suppose.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1183 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele 2-stage:

SSA for 4.5 lb
SSA-E for 3.5 lb

Full power hammer springs, reliable enough to be certified by Crane for military use, smooth take up and very crisp let-off.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Either Geissele or Larue. They are the only ones I will use in my AR's. You can't go wrong with either.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Larue MBT2. It has become my go-to for all my ARs. I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I’ve been pleased with the Tom’s Tactile Nickel Teflon triggers…I use them on four of my builds and I feel they are equal to the more expensive offerings from other manufacturers (YMMV)…I (in my uneducated “all things AR15” mind!) I can only say what feels like an “upgrade” to this old dude and I’m “thrifty” or cheap (depending who you talk to) Cool…so be advised!

http://www.tomstactical.com/To...ger-Group_p_169.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what many others have said and recommend the Larue MBT. Fantastic trigger for the money.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like others have stated, LaRue is my current go to.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Geissele 2-stage:

SSA for 4.5 lb
SSA-E for 3.5 lb

Full power hammer springs, reliable enough to be certified by Crane for military use, smooth take up and very crisp let-off.

^^ This right here
I’m a fan of the two stage triggers.
I have the SSA in my PCCs, and the SSA-Es in all my ARs and they are crisp & reliable with 100% ignition.

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Y'all just reminded me that I actually have a Larue MBT that I haven't installed in the Larue build kit I bought months ago.

That settles it: I'll use the Larue on the AR10 and get a Geissele for the Larue, since that's a DMR type build.

Thanks for reminding me of what I have in my own stash already. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Isn't this the subject of another thread somewhere else...?

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1183 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Larue hands down for the money.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Geissele 2-stage:

SSA for 4.5 lb
SSA-E for 3.5 lb

^^ This right here
I’m a fan of the two stage triggers.
I have the SSA in my PCCs, and the SSA-Es in all my ARs and they are crisp & reliable with 100% ignition.

I also have an SSP single stage in a lower that is currently mated to a dedicated TacSol .22LR barreled upper, and a S3G in a lower I am building up. Nice to have options - just swap out the lower.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed a Larue MBT-2S on my AR-10 last evening and find the results excellent. A great result for the money.

Posts: 2549 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've become a Geissele 2-stage fanboi.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Geissele SSA-E may be one of the greatest triggers ever made.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post