SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MP5 clones
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MP5 clones Login/Join 
posted
Thinking of picking up one of the MP5 clones that are available and somewhat affordable from Zenith, Century, or any other company you guys may have experience with. Any info and suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks

Posts: 227 | Location: NC | Registered: February 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Century currently has a $200 mail in rebate.

Posts: 9953 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a new/like new Zenith Z5RS. An awesome piece.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Zenith guns used to be MKEs imported from Turkey, but they severed that relationship a few years ago. Now Century is importing the MKEs, and Zenith is going to make new ones in the USA. My 2018 Z-5RS is fine, but there were some quality complains about the last group of Z-5RSs. Out of spec mag wells, bad welds, etc.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
PTR makes a US version so no 922r issues with foreign made guns.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Timely question! I received my Century/MKE AP5 from Atlantic Firearms last week and put 150 rounds of mixed FMJ and HP factory and handloads through it. Only thing it choked on (FTF) was the Winchester "Active Duty" M1152, which has a pretty large meplat. Fun gun, and I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I also ordered an AP5. Was delayed a bit as Century sent the incorrect brace, but looks like it's processing now. I wanted a PTR, as it includes the rail, but I have heard conflicting things about them with suppressors.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
The last HK clones I’ve bought are the Omega MP5SD & MP5K I’ve been very happy with the fit & function of both. The only thing I didn’t like was they had a glossy finish, but that has dulled with use. The big selling point to to me is that they come sear ready and on top of that, they sell the barreled receiver separately from an entire weapon. The only parts it didn’t come with is the grip frame and fire control parts or mags. I already had an MP5 and I have a registered sear so I had an extra parts bin.
So far as the only issues I’ve had with either has been ammo or mag related, even when new I didn’t have a break-in period.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To take pressure off my real HK's for playing type events I have several PTR's. as clones I have not had any real problems and have shot them lots.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a PTR and am very pleased with it's quality and price. I've availed myself to quite a few of the custom offerings and what I saved by going with the clone allowed me to customize and SBR my version with as little (financial) pain as possible.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Sorry for the angle. Imgur hates tall pics. I have the wide handguard incoming.

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My 2016 MKE/Zenith Z-5P/SBR is my favorite range gun. 100% reliable.

Posts: 4017 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Never had one in hand, but always liked the MP5.
Curious, if anyone doesn't mind sharing.
What's the price range on these, from decent clone to real HK?

Odds are, my first PCC will be a Scorpion of some flavor, but the MP5 fits that 'grail'/always wanted spot.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Never had one in hand, but always liked the MP5.
Curious, if anyone doesn't mind sharing.
What's the price range on these, from decent clone to real HK?

Odds are, my first PCC will be a Scorpion of some flavor, but the MP5 fits that 'grail'/always wanted spot.

The Century imported MKE clones are about $1600, and I think the PTRs are about the same price. MSRP on the HK SP5s is close to $3000, but it takes a bit of work or luck to find one near that price. Usually once someone gets one in at near MSRP, it sells out in minutes. The easier to find ones are usually marked up hundreds of dollars over MSRP, especially the SP5K-PDWs.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
By the way. I was in Cabelas today, and it appears Zenith, the previous importer for MKE AP5s has finally got their US made MP5 clones up and shipping. They were in the pistol format with one mag, sling, and zipper bag for $2399. No 922r necessary. However they could just be new old stock. Not 100%. If so, the Century is the far better deal.

(After looking at the Zenith Website, I believe the multiple copies at Cabela's are new old stock and 922r is still an issue)

If Century didn't have the $200 mail in rebate, I very likely would have gone the Zenith route. Apparently the US made Zenith clone is available at the Zenith website for $2,489, which seems a bit high in comparison to Century.

posted Hide Post
Century doesn't have the best reputation on other platforms. Is their MP5 clone decent? I'm not in the market so I am not researching it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Century doesn't have the best reputation on other platforms. Is their MP5 clone decent? I'm not in the market so I am not researching it.

Century makes nothing on the AP5. They are strictly the importer.

That being said, it's not the whole story. As, if there were issues with the pistol, Zenith had the ability to make repairs. Century's ability to repair these remains to be seen.

posted Hide Post
The Century clones are MKE guns. They are made on original HK tooling licensed from HK back in the 70's. They are as close to the real HK as you can ever get with a "clone". The only difference from the MKE to current HK guns would be any manufacturing updates made since the original HK tooling were sent to MKE. From what I have read it is not that big of a difference.

I just bought the AP5 and the AP5-P. Have not had a chance to get any rounds in on either, but just from handling, they are damn near perfect cosmetically. Will know more on function when I can shoot them.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1110 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put another 150 rounds of handloads through my recently-purchased Century/MKE AP5 this weekend with no problems. I'm really enjoying this gun!

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
US made handguard came in. Not the tightest fit, but ok.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,