SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sporting Clays - Choke Tube Selection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays - Choke Tube Selection Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
General question for the group, when shooting sporting clays (O/U in this case) what chokes do you typically run and when/for what reason (if ever) do you swap them out for a particular station?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Back when I shot SC, I used my Ruger Red Label O/U with improved cylinder & modified or improved modified & modified.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have been a lifelong IC shooter. I use it in field guns almost exclusively (I use cylinder for pen raised quail and Mod for waterfowl) and, therefore, I shoot it for sporting clays, too. I use a SK choke for skeet. If I'm shooting an OU, I'd shoot IC under Mod or maybe under LM.

I do not switch chokes on certain stations for a couple of reasons. 1. I am not a competitive shooter and really only do it for fun. 2. When I start thinking about chokes, I miss birds. Even switching and shooting the Mod barrel first on a certain station because of the presentation of the clays tends to get in my head and I miss birds.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
If I'm shooting an OU, I'd shoot IC under Mod or maybe under LM.

Years ago shooting an autoloader I was mostly using IC; this time around I was planning on shooting IC under LM so glad to hear you’ve had success with this combo.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It totally depends on the course. On most it seems that IC/Mod does it, but not on all.

There's a SC course around here that has very few shots under 45 yards and perhaps a quarter of the shots are 75 yards+. At that one, I use Mod/Full

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
General question for the group, when shooting sporting clays (O/U in this case) what chokes do you typically run and when/for what reason (if ever) do you swap them out for a particular station?

Years ago shooting an autoloader I was mostly using IC; this time around I was planning on shooting IC under LM

In my experience, for recreational sporting clays courses, IC and LM chokes pretty much do the job. But it depends on the course and the setter.

Tournaments can be a different matter. I've shot stations with a really fast crossing bouncing rabbit maybe 5 yards away, followed by an edge-on battue going the other way. Cylinder or skeet chokes were optimal here.

I've shot stations with fast and high-angle outgoing birds, with the throwers at least 20 yards down range. Mod, IM, and full chokes were used by the various competitors, and the hits were still challenging.

Yes, I do change chokes on certain stages, however I tend to shoot the majority of a course with just two chokes. In my early years of SC competitions, I generally shot IC/LM. As I attained AA and Master Class, I changed to mainly LM/M.

The bottom line is that pointing shotgun in the right place at the right time is way more important than the chokes used.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am shooting a Browning CXS and generally an IC & Mod. But it depends on the course (the time that you have to see the target, range to target....). I have started using a Light Full and Mod and it seems to be working pretty well for me.

If I a runningva pump or auto loader I will usually use a Mod.

For the most part I don't change chokes once I start shooting. I will use the same chokes all day long. Naturally there are exceptions to this Smile

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found that most guns have too much choke. Cylinder and Improved Cylinder get me through most courses. If you miss, its not likely the chokes fault.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I shoot sporting clays at least once a week (LOVE retirement!), and generally use Light Modified in both barrels. On longer shots or those where the target is edge on, I'll go with Modified or even Improved Modified. For incoming/close in shots, I find that Light Modified works just as well as Skeet or IC.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
It really depends on the course for me. Skeet & IC on a shorter course, IC & Mod on a longer one.

Posts: 327 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
When I used to shoot every Sunday it range from spreader all the way to turkey choke if the course was still set up for a tournament. But mostly I just shoot between cylinder and imp mod.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post