SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 590
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 590 Login/Join 
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:
I picked up the 590A1 this morning. I haven’t shot it yet but discovered that the safety is super hard to get off safe. Anyone else experience this and know the remedy?

As mentioned, a drop of oil and working it does wonders. I spent a few days with mine, just idly working it back and forth while on work videos.

Not sure if the retograde version is the plastic one that most have now, but they do sell the metal one if you need to upgrade.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
I picked up the 590A1 this morning. I haven’t shot it yet but discovered that the safety is super hard to get off safe. Anyone else experience this and know the remedy?

As mentioned, a drop of oil and working it does wonders. I spent a few days with mine, just idly working it back and forth while on work videos.

Not sure if the retograde version is the plastic one that most have now, but they do sell the metal one if you need to upgrade.

Just work it like Gibb mentioned. I upgraded mine with a metal Vang Comp safety that is slightly oversized; worth it. I also grabbed their high visibility mag tube follower.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 590 is probably 8 years old and finally replaced the safety with one of these...

https://www.ndzperformance.com...-mos-es-bb-p-blk.htm

It's got a little more purchase and slides smoothly now.

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:

Only had one range outing, and I was surprised at how light the recoil felt. Probably take it out on Monday, try some slugs.

If you think the recoil is light, try it with some 3" magnum slugs. I shot some in my Winchester pump and they recoiled more than anything else I have ever shot.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:

I put a drop or two of oil and have been working it back and forth. It’s beginning to loosen up slightly.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you resolve the safety issue? They are generally stiff but a good cleaning and oil should fix it, but highly recommend Vang Comp parts as well.

I love the 590 series.

My shotgun in the academy was a Mossberg 590A1 and I had never shot one before; the action was slick as snot, the tang safety made it easy for me to make sure my gun was "cruiser safe", the slide release was very natural, and to this day I swear Mossbergs have way less felt recoil than any other pump. Lots of people gave me a hard time because it wasn't a Remington, but I'll still take a 590 over an 870 any day.

If you have a Mossberg 590, a side saddle (I like the Esstac velcro), a buttstock shell pouch (I've had a cheap Allen that's held up over a decade with a hole melted in the seam for the rear sling swivel to hold it in place but would do a second Esstac in a heartbeat), a light, a carry strap (a simple 1.5" nylon sling with no padding is mine), ghost ring sights, and some Wilson Combat 2-shell plastic holders for your belt then you have a true workhorse for life.

Send it to Vang Comp, and you'll have the damn best scattergun you can ask for.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I shot some in my Winchester pump and they recoiled more than anything else I have ever shot.

If you're coming north some time, stop in. I've got this gentile little Weatherby .30-378 we can haul out with the muzzle brake off. Then you'll know recoil. It puts the .458 to shame.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I shot some in my Winchester pump and they recoiled more than anything else I have ever shot.

If you're coming north some time, stop in. I've got this gentile little Weatherby .30-378 we can haul out with the muzzle brake off. Then you'll know recoil. It puts the .458 to shame.

No thanks. I have a buddy who has a .30-378 Wby. He often lets people shoot it and always gives them two shells. He says no one has ever shot both of them.

My worst is a .300 Wby, and an old one with a light, skinny barrel and no brake. It is plenty for me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post