SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New red dot mount for an old Marlin 1894 .357 & .410 ammo score.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New red dot mount for an old Marlin 1894 .357 & .410 ammo score. Login/Join 
posted
I have been looking for a nice lightweight mount for my Marlin and finally found it in the Phoenix Weaponry mount. I was using an EGW mount, but it placed the red dot at almost a chin weld. This one gives an outstanding cheek weld that feels 100% natural when shooting. You can see the front sight and almost co-witness with the rear….almost Big Grin. The mount is all metal, has the build in bosses for the red dot, and looks good on the gun. It is well worth the $60 they are asking.

Next up is a great .410 ammo score. I picked up this little .410 for my grandson but was catching hell finding ammo that was not $25+ for 25rds. I scored 18 boxes at a Walmart in the hood. I was passing through and thought to myself…..self, most of the guys in this area will want 12g and not .410. Sure enough they had plenty when every other Walmart had none. I got all they had as it is so hard to find. 3 boxes have already been used to break the gun in Big Grin.

Shooting the gun has proven a challenge. My 20g is easier to hit with, but I was doing great by the 3rd box. That .410 is just too easy to swing too fast at a target…lol.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I want to be all pissy about "red dot on a lever action" but, with my eyes now I see this and think long and hard about it.

Great score on the .410!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HAve fun with the 410, it's a caliber that is much more effective than most people are aware of. I shoot 4 gun Skeet and my primary practice gun is my Silver Pigeon III Sporting in 410/28 gauge. Below is a pic of my number one set, when I have some free time and better weather I'll take some pics of my number two set. Yeah I bought two sets, when you find a model that is a perfect Fit having a spare makes sense in the event of a failed mainspring at a match. I'll also admit that improvements in Laser engraving and a prettier wood set on the #2 set was another factor.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
HAve fun with the 410, it's a caliber that is much more effective than most people are aware of. Note, keep an eye out for used loading presses, I put together 3 boxes of 410 this morning while waiting for the washing machine. Currently with lead at 64 dollars / 25 lbs. bag my cost for a box of 410 is 6.50 USD, probably less than half of what you paid. Downside to loading the 410 is that hulls have become onobtainium, so save every hull you shoot. Those Winchester hulls aren't the best for reloading but you should be able to get 2 or 3 reloads on them. BTW the preferred Winchester is the pricey AA hulls, some can get up to 8 reloads by using a bit of candle wax. Myself I prefer Cheddite because they last for at least 8-10 reloads but Fiochi will do in a pinch and can be loaded up to 5 times. Note, in spurts during the year Ballistic Products will have some 410 hulls in stock.

I shoot 4 gun Skeet and my primary practice gun is my Silver Pigeon III Sporting in 410/28 gauge. Below is a pic of my number one set, when I have some free time and better weather I'll take some pics of my number two set. Yeah I bought two sets, when you find a model that is a perfect Fit having a spare makes sense in the event of a failed mainspring at a match. I'll also admit that improvements in Laser engraving and a slightly prettier wood set on the #2 set was another factor.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post