SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up my new competition rifle this weekend.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up my new competition rifle this weekend. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
...I'm trying to stay under 2900 FPS to increase barrel life (not going to be by much I know, but every little bit helps).

Once you've chosen a cartridge, you've already locked in a ballpark barrel life. The most important things you can do now is:
- Keep the MV under the limits of your intended matches, if such limits exist. MV limits are sometimes imposed to improve steel target life. I cannot shoot my 6CM in one regional match, as its MV is too high. I've set and pulled steel from that match, and the older targets are cratered like the surface of the moon.

- Find the best accuracy node or nodes, then stick with one. If the best node burns up the barrel a little faster, so be it. High volume shooters must eventually deal with the fact that barrels are consumable parts.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I suppose you're right. I'd wanted to keep on the larger end of the range.

My next step is to tweak the powder charge. According to GRT there should be a node at 35.2, but that's assuming SAAMI OAL. I need to measure and adjust that.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Ran my first PRS match yesterday. Goddamn it I sucked, but that's ok. I had a blast and learned a lot about my weaknesses, but the gun did admirably. I think I'm addicted.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3352 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I'm resurrecting this from the grave because goddamn it Fritz, you were right. I got to play around with the GT today, and had 10 rounds of the GRT-recommended 36.6gr of H4350 (as opposed to the 35.5 I was using previously) holding onto for the last month and a half. I don't have the image where I can post it easily (it's coming, don't worry), but I'm extremely pleased.

If you discount my 2 fliers, I have 8 shots inside of a quarter at 100 yards. I still need to borrow that labradar to find out my velocity, but I'm beyond ecstatic with that.

I'm still tickled pink by the cartridge. It's like shooting a laser gun. I think the only thing I still have that I want to do is a A419 bag stop/ARCA rail, but that's more of a "want" than a need.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
TPIWWOP of the rifle…and targets

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:

https://imgur.com/a/0JHs6Yt

That's the rifle and the old targets.

https://imgur.com/a/rQ0JWeg

That's the new target. Be forewarned, it's currently massive because I haven't resized it yet.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I forgot about Grizzly. Haven't looked at their site for a long time. With the exception of blanks I've won in matches, recent barrels came from Bugholes.

Krieger makes great barrels. My most accurate 223 AR15 has one, as does my very accurate AR10 in 6.5CM. I would have no problems with a Krieger bolt action barrel, but I've had great luck with Bartlein. I see no reason to change as long as Bartlein blanks are available.

For the 6mm bores, I like a 7.5 twist. I prefer M24 countours. I suspect a 4 groove will work, but I prefer 5R.

The 6mm chamberings are hard on barrels. My recent 6CM has Bartlein's relatively new BB steel -- a harder steel alloy that supposedly increases barrel life by around 50%. My local 'smith said BB steel feels harder when cutting the chamber, and a sharp reamer is necessary. I don't have enough rounds on the BB barrel to know its longevity. However, this BB steel barrel gave me the fastest barrel break in that I've experienced to date. I don't recall a barrel that has lower levels of carbon fouling. Its MV stabilized sooner than others I've used -- from any brand.

Time will tell if BB steel is all it's supposed to be, but for the moment I will wait for BB blanks to be back in stock before I'd consider converting the 308 to 6GT.

Grizzly is owned by my friend Shiraz Baliola, a gun nut and an excellent competitor. He is a top F-Open shooter, has his own nationally-ranked team and he is also on the US F-Class rifle team. Grizzly seems to carry a lot of Bartlein barrels.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post