SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trying to justify a lower powered optic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to justify a lower powered optic Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Bought a Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP (18" barrel) in 308.

I was thinking that for hunting deer or hogs in Florida and Appalachians, a 3-9 would be more than enough. I'm thinking a 4-16 is gonna really limit FOV when realistically were talking 95% likelihood of a shot within 100 yards.

Would I be ven better served with a 2.5-10 or similar?

1-8?

I'm also realistic in my shooting experience, growing up in Florida I doubt I've made more than 10 shot past 150 yards in my life. I'm not a bad shot but I wanna be realistic here. Nothing saying I cannot practice at further distances but for practical purposes would I be correct that anything more than 3x lowest magnification is a little overkill?

Am I right? Wrong? Missing something?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
For a basic optic on a budget with a duplex reticle I really like a 2-7 or a 2.5-8 Leupold. A VX-2 or a Vari-X 3 or VX-3. Excellent optics and can be had in the $2-300 range. The same in the 3-9 is also a good choice. But I prefer the 2-7 or 2.5-8 myself.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1-6/1-8/1-10 LPVO are good options.

Down side to some of the LPVO is eye box (sometimes, not all times). Vortex has some of the best eye relief/box LPVO on the market IMHO.

I use Nightforce scopes for everything I do, whether that’s for hunting, AR, precision. I like their glass and am familiar with their limitations. Their eye boxes on the LPVO are ok, unless you’re looking for the issue.

With that said: Budget minded, great eye relief, great eye box; Vortex 1-6 LPVO. Check a lot of the gun boards because they are always for sale at amazing prices.

EDITED: Currently have 3 NF 1-8 NX8, 2.5-10x24, and 2.5-20x50 NX8.

quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Bought a Bergara Wilderness Ridge SP (18" barrel) in 308.

I was thinking that for hunting deer or hogs in Florida and Appalachians, a 3-9 would be more than enough. I'm thinking a 4-16 is gonna really limit FOV when realistically were talking 95% likelihood of a shot within 100 yards.

Would I be ven better served with a 2.5-10 or similar?

1-8?

I'm also realistic in my shooting experience, growing up in Florida I doubt I've made more than 10 shot past 150 yards in my life. I'm not a bad shot but I wanna be realistic here. Nothing saying I cannot practice at further distances but for practical purposes would I be correct that anything more than 3x lowest magnification is a little overkill?

Am I right? Wrong? Missing something?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms offers a range of low power variable optics that get good reviews. Not top tier but neither is the price. May be worth a look.

I have a Steiner 1-4 and a Leupold 1-5 HD and both are good on the ARs. My next will probably be a Nightforce 1-8.

3x is not overkill but in the 2-300yrd range I’d want more. For me, 5x at 300 is about the least I’d want.

A 2-7 would be good like ORC mentioned.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8337 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, I'm in no way set on a budget optic. 2-7 seems to be less popular these days. I'll look at Leuopolds 2.5-8 but not sure if they offer an illuminated version or not.

Always like Trijicon but their stuff is so GD heavy.

Maybe I wait for a Razor 1-8 to show up used...but again, those things are dang heavy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

Posts: 6238 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have a Razor 1x6 on my Scar, and it’s a great optic, no complaints other than being heavy as noted. With that being said, I wish it was a 1x10……..

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the general availability and quality of 1-x optics I really can't see why you wouldn't do just that (excluding the price issue). But if you think trijicon stuff is expensive you won't be happy with lots of the other choices like NF or Leupold and many other good optics.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry, I had to go back and read what I wrote. I never think Trijicon is expensive, that was a total Brain fact on my part. Meant to say heavy.

Trijicon tends to offer a pretty decent options in the 600-1000$ range.

I have the Kahles 1-6 on my SBR but was thinking 6x might be a little bit on the low end, but if I'm being practical I guess 6x at 200 or less is PLENTY.

I don't think the Kahles reticle is best for a bolt action 308 but I'm sure I can find something comparable.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I tried a 6-24 scope on my .308 and don't like it.

I'm now thinking a Primary Arms 2.5-10 would have been a better choice for me.
I don't hunt with it, just target shooting distance of 50-500 yds.
The March 1.5-15x42 looks like a really cool scope. A bit out of my price range but you never know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: powermad,

Posts: 1469 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I missed the "powered" in your title.
I have never used a powered optic on a hunting rifle. My recommendations were for a non powered optic.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19092 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Sorry, I missed the "powered" in your title.
I have never used a powered optic on a hunting rifle. My recommendations were for a non powered optic.

Sorry ORC, lower magnification...everyone I read about is trying to do some 8-32 super sniper shit and I am just trying to double check my logic that it ain't gonna work in the woods.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Maybe Appalachia is a different story, but in Florida, I don’t think you’d need anything past ten power.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Vortex Strike Eagle in 1-8X24 and it is smooth and quick.
I shoot from 50-250 on the short range and the transition goes easy.
When I go out to 600 it's stretching it a bit out past 500.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a Ruger Ranch 7.62x39 for a FL hunting rig with a Luepold VX-R Firedot 2-7 and it seems to fit the distance and caliber well.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up in Tennessee and lived in Florida for the last 28. I have a Leupold 1.5 -4X20 Pig-Plex on a CZ 527 7.62X39. It has done everything I have asked it to do on hogs in FL. It would be be fine in East TN for deer but Middle or Western you would probably benefit from a 6 or 8 power.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in terrain where you have to seek out longer distances versus other places that have them naturally. I find the NF 1-8 is just about as good as it gets in an all around optic on a .308. Great up close and fast if that's what you need and 8x is more than adequate out to the ranges one might realistically shoot anything that's not on a rifle range at a long distance match.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Scooped ip a Leupold 3-9 firedot model, pretty economical and their warranty excellent.

I think it'll serve me very well for my purposes...thanks for all your suggestions and experiences.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went with a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18 for my 308 Scar.Fits the bill for close or long range.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have always tailored the scope for the yardage I am able to hunt and see.
I have different rifles with different scopes and power levels.
That said even the adjustment and usually set in lowest settings

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I really love 2-7x33 scopes. I believe they’re highly underrated. I run a 1.5-4x20 on my 375. I can hit anything out to 300 yds with a four power scope, and I love the small size.

My only “big” scopes are on my 338RUM and my 50BMG, since those are longer shooters and already weigh over 15 and 25 pounds, respectively.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post