SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Trying to justify a lower powered optic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to justify a lower powered optic Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Delta Stryker 1-6? LOW built, daylight bright red dot, ~$850

http://www.darnfineshot.com/deopsthd130t.html

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've actually strongly considered putting a 1-6 up to a 1-10 on my hunting rig. Its thick woods and close range shots for the most part here and even the 2.5 bottom mag on my scope seems like a lot. I've found myself more than once having to wait to confirm I was aiming where I thought I was as we were way too close.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I'm very sorry, I had to go back and read what I wrote. I never think Trijicon is expensive, that was a total Brain fact on my part. Meant to say heavy.

Trijicon tends to offer a pretty decent options in the 600-1000$ range.

I have the Kahles 1-6 on my SBR but was thinking 6x might be a little bit on the low end, but if I'm being practical I guess 6x at 200 or less is PLENTY.

I don't think the Kahles reticle is best for a bolt action 308 but I'm sure I can find something comparable.

Way back I bought 2 surplus military Swarovski 6x46 ZFM scopes calibrated for 7.62×51mm NATO. I wasn’t so sure about going fixed but the price was good so I could have easily gotten the money back selling them if they didn’t work out. I ended up liking the simplicity and light gathering more than I missed the ability to vary the power. Obviously it’s a personal preference but like you said, out to 200 yards 6x is plenty.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a Burris XTR II 1x5 on a 16" AR and I love its BDC reticle. I can get pretty easy hits out to 600 yards with 55 grain. The Burris is heavy but I haven't once desired more magnification.

I really like my Vortex PST 1x6 as well. Simple reticle and easy to use.

My favorite is my ACOG. 4x32 15 oz. great BDC for my 556 rounds. My only complaint is it's a bit too bright on a cloudless day.

I have a Trijicon Creedo 2x10 on a 20 AR. The reticle is too busy for my liking. It has nice features but 2x10 is unnecessary for 5.56 in my mind. It is a bit heavy. If I had to choose again I would save some bucks and look for no more than 1x8.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I have a Razor 1x6 on my Scar, and it’s a great optic, no complaints other than being heavy as noted. With that being said, I wish it was a 1x10……..

The Razor Gen3 weighs the same as the 1-6 and is a 1-10 FFP.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I use a Vortex Strike Eagle in 1-8X24 and it is smooth and quick.
I shoot from 50-250 on the short range and the transition goes easy.
When I go out to 600 it's stretching it a bit out past 500.

I use the same on my "go to" 16" carbine and can say it worked well on a trotting hog last weekend, distance was maybe 50-60m. Quick to pick up the hog and the recital worked well in framing the target.

On my 6.8spc I have a Nikon 2x8 and it works quite well from 25m to 300m. I really want to find a 2x12 for it but understandably the prices for anything like this are beyond what I want to spend.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post