SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience with Carlson's Remington 870 18.5" Rem choke barrels,?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Carlson's Remington 870 18.5" Rem choke barrels,? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I'm thinking of getting one for my 870 together with a mag extension. Thoughts or experience with them?

Posts: 12451 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have one for the Benelli SuperNova as mentioned in the other thread. I have the smooth bore, with choke, rifle sighted barrel. For the most part I have no complaints about the barrel itself, but the rear rifle sight is a bit lacking.

I had some issue with the sight slide, it stripped or broke and they replaced it. Still not the greatest design, but functional I suppose. I'd have no qualms about buying a plain or ribbed barrel from them. Plus the fact they're so much cheaper than Benelli's crazy prices.

Posts: 21088 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks. I was thinking of just a vent rib so I should be OK on the back sight issue.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Be aware it's not a gloss blued barrel, at least mine is not. More of a matte finish.

Shiny with a fresh coat of oil. lol

Posts: 21088 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
That looks nice. I saw v that they v were matte black too, which is OK.

If you didn't post, where did you yours?

posted Hide Post
I bought the Carlson 18” barrel for my 12 gage 870 Rem in early 2020. All of my Carlson 12 gage chokes, from full to open choke, fit perfectly, as well as an old turkey choke.
The shotgun has been repeatedly pattern tested between 35 and 40 yards with a number of loads, with good results.
For me, using full on turkey loads in that barrel is plain down painful as a defense load, even though the milder 5-7 1/2 loads pattern well at close and mid ranges.
The barrel and chokes have been flawless to date (2 full years). The black matte finish barrel matches the original finish on my gun. Sorry, no pics.
This shotgun, with a manageable load, is my main close range defense shotgun.
Regards,
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a carlson's 18.5 barrel on a 870 project I did a year ago. It came parkerized with a raised front bead, chrome lined barrel, and threaded for chokes. Came with a modified choke. Uses standard Remington chokes too. Paid 200.00 for it on ebay. I am extremely happy with it. I would recommend it.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have zero recollection where I got mine, though it could have been straight through Carlson's, I've spent a lot of money with them over the years.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If anyone is curious, the is the rear "rifle" sight. The first one cracked, or was cracked when I got it, in the lower aluminum part. I had them send me another in case I ever decided to sell it. It's a little small but functional I guess.

It mounts and slides on the steel elevator.