SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My build is coming along
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My build is coming along Login/Join 
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
The gas hole is definitely too small. I still need to decide what to do as far as the drill bit, but I'll be widening that.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I would at least start out with a #43 (.089") bit and work up to a #42 (.0935") if you need to.

Or if you don't want to mess with doing that you could just open it up to .098" or so and get a BRT gas drive for it.
Just select what buffer and spring you are using from the drop downs and get a gas tube sized for that.
But I wouldn't, I'd just get a couple of bits and work up.

A dimple jig for the gas block is pretty cheap and makes messing with that easier if you have it on and off.
I think the KVP one I have was $25.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I have a set of #43 drills on the way.

That BRT gas drive system intrigues me, but it doesn't come tuned for a 24" barrel, at least that I've seen yet. I'm not done looking though. I found their site and there's a configurable option that would meet my needs.

0.089" = ~2.26mm. I am really quite tempted to drill out to 2.5mm and install the adjustable gas block, simply because it's the most field-expedient means of getting the gun fully operational.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If going from over-sized the BRT tube is a solid, easy fix, good for over 5,000 rounds on a suppressed 10.5"
No parts to fiddle with to keep it working.

I had a Faxon barrel that had a huge gas port.
Cycled hard with an A5H2 buffer and Law folder adapter, which was another 2 oz.
Got a BRT tube sized accordingly and it smoothed it out.
Got it sized for full power ammo.
Tested some steel case and it choked.
Runs 5.56 like a champ.

Sold it to a buddy who of course bought steel cased ammo after being told about it.
I made a spacer for the extension and gave him a carbine buffer and spring to try out.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I've looked at both options and they cost about the same. I'm going to first try chasing the hole out with a drill and go from there.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Well, BA responded to my query about the gas hole. They drilled it at 0.086". Now wonder I'm having issues.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying a gas block dimpling jig from SLR Rifle Works for $35 last night. I also have the aforementioned #43 bits waiting at the PO box.

I also replaced the barrel with that $300 Criterion of the same length. While I'm a little annoyed at the profile ( instead of staying at over 0.90" it's what I've seen as a a service rifle profile - it drops to 0.80" after the gas block journal) I'm okay with it because I know the gas system is good to go. I tested the gas port with my pin gage and it fits wonderfully. It's also dimpled so there's no question the block is lined up (no ghetto-ass tricks like dropping spaghetti in the barrel).

I'm going to enlarge the hole on the BA and dimple it, and I'm going to be building another rifle with a PSA kit I picked up last night, and I might even Ceracoat it if I can figure out a way to bake it.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I drilled it out over Thanksgiving break. Dunno how well it'll shoot, but I can say the gage pin fits like a glove now.

The parts to finish the new upper (minus the dimple jig) will be here Wednesday. Everything else I'm still waiting on.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
A lot of things have happened in this build. Things really got out of hand Big Grin

Edit: fixed the image size.

So I finished the lower for the rifle that has the Criterion barrel. Aero lower, Ergo grip, A2 stock, and Timney 660CE trigger. I'm still waiting for funds that I can redirect to buy a scope; I just had to buy a mattress, so it'll be a month or two.

The PSA lower that I was using before now sports a Del-Ton 20" upper that had a gas block transplant because the front sight post was interfering with the sight picture on the EOTech. Getting the FSP off was a fight; I couldn't get the taper pins off and ended up having to use a die grinder and a carbide burr to grind it down, then knock the pieces off with a cold chisel and a 3.5# sledge. I ended up biting the barrel just a little bit; nothing a little bit of cold blue and some oil couldn't fix. it's behind the gas block so it worked out anyway. The EOTech 512 is there to stay.

I built a third rifle with a locally-acquired tan Aero upper and lower, and used the Ballistic Advantage barrel that I previously modified. The gas block jig came in, and I dimpled that, as well. As you can see it's set up pretty close to the other 24" barrel, and I actually have another Criterion for when the BA barrel inevitably turns out to be garbage for precision shooting. The tan scope is only there until I can afford a nicer scope for it.

All 3 rifles work perfectly. Rocked them all with 69gr SMK handloads designed for my 16" Anderson AR. I wasn't focused on anything but function testing, so I didn't do much in the way of groups.

I've been getting set up to work up a load for the 69 and 75gr RMR bullets I'm switching to. Once I get the time to do some testing I'll start cranking those out. I've heard the 69gr RMRs are 5/6 of what SMKs are capable of; I'm curious to see what the 75gr are capable of.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
That's cool the BA is a runner now.
Looks like a nice set.

I found that I like the A2 stock, I grabbed a new surplus OD green one and put it on my .308 instead of the Luth one I had.

Now I have a spare 5.56 A2 action and have been thinking of ditching the A5 for the A2 on my 18", I never collapse it anyway.

Mine seem to get rearranged every time I go shoot it a bit.
I think I'm almost there now, just trying to get the scope thing squared away myself.

Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
Yeah, despite BA trying to deflect blame and say it was something else I knew it was the problem. They've been known to do this.

Pretty much the only reason I still have it in a rifle is because it has looser chamber tolerances than the Criterion barrels, and some 300-400 rounds loaded with the recipe from the 16" I don't own any more. The Criterion required me to drop the shoulder an extra 0.005" or so (I think; it's been a little bit) because I was having to mortar rounds out left and right. I can't wait to turn this to scrap and put the other Criterion on there.

Beautiful rifle. I like the A2 stock, but wish it were just a little bit longer. Like, if they made a back plate that were double thickness I'd have what I want. I rocked the B5 SOPMOD stock and always left it all the way out 24/7.