SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Met a M14 legend today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Met a M14 legend today Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
So I went to the local fun show today to hand out business cards and network. For those not in the know, there's a long-time M14/M1 Garand builder close by who goes by the name of Bruce Dow. I found his table and introduced myself.

Bruce was an extremely pleasant person to talk with. We spent a good amount of time talking shop and I observed him helping some local customers. I asked his permission to post his pic on the forum and he granted it.

I didn't want to overstay my welcome so I eventually went along with my business and perused the other tables and gunsmiths. We agreed to meet in the future and get to know each other better.

Just thought some of you might enjoy the story.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
A friend who's store/range I used to work for used to send stuff for him to work on. He does great work.

On a side note were you at the show in Lakeland?
My wife and I were there today (we have not been in years)and I picked up a Type 38 Arisaka rifle.

I like that show they have a lot of, hard to find/older items. A lot of the venders are what I call "coffee can collectors". They have been saving stuff in old coffee cans for years then bring it to the show to sell.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was at the Lakeland gun show from about 10:30 to 1:30.

Yes, there's lots of old stuff there, from what I saw. Insane prices on ammo though. $60 for a 20 count box of 175 grain FGMM!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought “oh, he got to meet Bruce Dow!” Back in 2007, my best fiend and I went to his shop. Talked with him for a bit about some amateur gunsmithing adventures and he invited us back into his workshop and showed us around, explaining lots of tools and some processes. He must have talked with us for at least an hour. I still have his business card somewhere. Truly a great guy. I’m glad you got to meet him. He is absolutely a legend in the rotating bolt community.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Very cool

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Yes, I was at the Lakeland gun show from about 10:30 to 1:30.

Yes, there's lots of old stuff there, from what I saw. Insane prices on ammo though. $60 for a 20 count box of 175 grain FGMM!

Tony.

My wife and I were there with our friend at the same time. We probably walked right past each other.
I did not notice the ammo prices, however my wife was the one who spotted the rifle and she made me buy it. She knew exactly what it was.
I had been looking for this rifle for years in this condition. She said buy it because you will never see one at that price again.
Got to love my wife, she even made me buy a watch once.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That’s pretty cool! I know who Bruce is from the M14 Forum.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Lakeland Rifle and Pistol Club shows are the best I've ever been to as regards to collectibles. It's unfortunate they were not able to continue to lease the Lakeland Center and are now stuck out at Sun N' Fun. I've pulled more great collectible stuff out of that show than anywhere else.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post