SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommendations for inexpensive AR15 build kits
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for inexpensive AR15 build kits Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I have several good ARs, so I'm certainly not desperate, and don't want to pay desperation prices. But I also have several stripped lowers-just because. So I was thinking about buying a few complete rifle (or pistol) kits just to have on hand as well. You know, for friends or family that don't plan ahead, or just in case.

I'm seeing complete pistol kits at PSA that are substantially less than the rifle kits, ie. this one that is on sale for $349:

https://palmettostatearmory.co...live-drab-green.html

Are pistol kits typically less expensive than rifle kits, and if so why? I think an AR "pistol" with a brace would be sufficient for the intended purpose, which admittedly is quite vague. What do y'all think of that kit? Is there something you would highly recommend, either pistol or rifle?

I know that the lower is the "firearm", but if things go south politically do y'all think there will be availability and/or pricing issues with parts kits? Should I just hang on the lowers and not worry about the rest for now?

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.del-ton.com/Rifle-Kits-16-s/57.htm

I have been very happy with Del-Ton. Mixed availability.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Anybody else? Any explanation of the pistol kits being less expensive than the rifle kits?

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Anybody else? Any explanation of the pistol kits being less expensive than the rifle kits?

Probably slightly lower demand, and those braces are cheaper to make/buy than most decent stocks.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Availability is clutch in this day and time...pickings are slim Frown...PSA as well as Bear Creek Arsenal run out quickly for budget AR parts...the PSA link you posted is showing out of stock right now...the Del-Ton option RNshooter linked to looks promising if in stock.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Year old thread here but Bear Creek has complete uppers as well as barrels, etc for lower prices than I have seen in quite some time. Their recent and ongoing specials have .556 complete uppers for around $220. Lots of other calibers also. Just fyi in case you need to stock back up.

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I am totally into Rock River parts. If you intend to shoot what you build, at least get the RRA 2 stage trigger lower parts kit

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
AIM Surplus has a number of complete rifle lowers for under $300 (with some as low as $200), mostly varieties of Aero Precision.

Don't really know why pistols would be cheaper other than, as was said, your usual stocks are probably more expensive than the cheapest braces.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I will throw out Aero/Ballistic advantage.

Even Anderson.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post