SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shot my Mossberg 590 in a tactical shotgun match (video included for any interested)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my Mossberg 590 in a tactical shotgun match (video included for any interested) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
A local range puts on public rifle or shotgun matches a couple times a year in between training classes etc. Nothing too hardcore, just shooting for fun and getting some practice in. Although Vang Comp did give a $295 gift certificate to the winner of the Heavy Metal (12 gauge pump) division. I placed 2nd in HM and 8th overall, but had a great time. My knee has been bugging me so I was moving even slower than usual LOL. But had a lot of fun. The shotgun ran well all day, with the exception of one cheap Herter's (cabela's brand) which is the same garbage-tier ammo as Winchester Universals with the plated steel rims that jam in some pump guns. Hung me up on one string but otherwise I ran Federal and it was flawless all day.

Video for any interested. Note: Yes, I know I'm fat. Yes, I know I'm slow. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/ATDodPbdGUU?si=eWCFXBywRdlKMhfM

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Looked like some good shooting to me. I’ll have to try one form of shooting sports one of these days.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done! Great shooting and you didn't miss a beat on that stuck shell, just cleared it and kept going. That range facility looks awesome, too!

We've gotta know, though, did the video give you a bump on your onlyfans subscriptions? Big Grin

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

We've gotta know, though, did the video give you a bump on your onlyfans subscriptions? Big Grin

LOL yeah it doubled it to two. but I think both are in prison Big Grin

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Holy smokes, that looks like fun!!

(The shooting, that is -- not the prison-based OnlyFans thing. Eww!) Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to love shotgun matches. I also "put on" one (designed and built the stages) every summer for a handful of years. Oddball stages, making people do things they weren't used to doing with a shotgun. Great fun.

Club politics killed it off.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I used to love shotgun matches. I also "put on" one (designed and built the stages) every summer for a handful of years. Oddball stages, making people do things they weren't used to doing with a shotgun. Great fun.
that sounds awesome. What kinds of things were required in your oddball stages?

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
We'll done sir. What loads are you shooting?

The timer guys was struggling to keep up Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun!

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
We'll done sir. What loads are you shooting?

The timer guys was struggling to keep up Big Grin
this time it was all birdshot, and the match director specified 7 1/2 shot or smaller. Apparently it helps prevent frag from bouncing back. Other matches and organizations may have a max birdshot size of 6, and they may have some buckshot and slug targets as well. This club usually has 3-5 slugs required per match (usually on paper or steel torsos at around 40 yards) but didn’t at this one. I had that one sticky shell with HERTER’S but for the rest of the day I ran the Federal pre-Covid Walmart target and game shells and they ran flawlessly.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks, 1oz or 1-1/8oz?

The Mossberg 590 and 500 are great shotguns. Yours looked like the action was nice and smooth. My 500 is like that.
Looks like yours is a 20" with an 8 shoot tube. Looks like you run a stock saddle. Which one.

Again, thanks for postings. You looked smooth and well practiced. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks, The Mossberg 590 and 500 are great shotguns. Yours looked like the action was nice and smooth. My 500 is like that. Looks like yours is a 20" with an 8 shoot tube. Looks like you run a stock saddle. Which one.
Again, thanks for postings. You looked smooth and well practiced.

Thank you. The sidesaddle is just the plastic tac-star
6-shot one, but I've had to add some electrical tape to the inside of the slots as they've loosened up over the past dozen years.

The stock/butt cuff is just a basic elastic one; I can't remember the brand. But it has about 7 loops IIRC and they've held up okay. I don't keep those loaded until the day of the match so they haven't stretched out and lost their shape. I had my mother-in-law sew some denim across the back (across the buttpad) to keep the butt cuff from walking forward under recoil.

So for most stages I can usually finish the stage with the 9 rounds in the gun and the 13 or so rounds on the gun. I also used a 4-shell belt caddy this time, but I only had to load from it once or twice IIRC. I suck at loading. Another guy on my squad was running a 590 A1 9-shot and he was loading twins from a twins/quad rig. Said it was very tricky on the 590 without the lifter to act as a ramp into the mag tube. I've tried loading twins into mine but it was always slower than just loading from the sidesaddle or my caddy, since I suck at loading twins/quads.

Federal bulk 7.5 shot game and target loads, 1 1/8 Oz.

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Excellent control/speed when transitioning from target to target. I'm impressed, and I'm a shotgun nerd.

I don't know how ultra-competitive you want to be, but one area where efficiencies "stack" is in reloading (assuming those are on-the-clock.) Combat-loading one to the empty chamber and then topping off the magazine can be done while the shotgun is shouldered AND on the move (as long as you can control the weapon with your dominant hand and do all of the ammo manipulation / run the forend with your support hand.)

Looked good all around!

Posts: 2462 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Excellent control/speed when transitioning from target to target. I'm impressed, and I'm a shotgun nerd.

I don't know how ultra-competitive you want to be, but one area where efficiencies "stack" is in reloading (assuming those are on-the-clock.) Combat-loading one to the empty chamber and then topping off the magazine can be done while the shotgun is shouldered AND on the move (as long as you can control the weapon with your dominant hand and do all of the ammo manipulation / run the forend with your support hand.)

Good tips! It's a bit weird for me because I'm right handed but left-eye dominant, so I shoot long guns lefty. Which, if you shoot a right-eject pump, makes combat/single loading a bit strange.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
That was great! Nice shooting.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
That was great! Nice shooting.

Thank you sir!

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
A 590 with wood furniture, what's not to like?

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting. Smooth with the pump action, nice transitions between targets, good shooting while moving.

It's nice to see someone shooting on the move, on the clock. We have more than enough pictures of 50/100 yard targets shot from a bench.

In what now seems like another life, I shot a lot of clays -- never tactical shotgun, however. Herter's shells were notorious for jamming over-unders, semi-autos, and pumps while I was competing. I mainly shot Win AA, Remy STS, Fiocchi, Federal -- never a bad shell. I would practice with Win Super Target, when I could find it on sale, to save a few bucks.

All you need now is to quad load shells like John Wick....

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

All you need now is to quad load shells like John Wick....
LOL yeah, I've practiced loading twins/quads on other shotguns and still suck at it, but on the 590 it's really bad since there's no lifter/carrier/ramp to guide the shells into the mag tube. People who are good at loading twins or quads save TONS of time compared to my clunky sidesaddle method. Downside is you have to buy and wear a big quad-load rig, which can be $$$$

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Lena Miculek (Jerry's daughter) shooting a load-4 drill

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca-ADJmAkmS/

She makes it look easy. It's not LOL
https://youtu.be/LHbfXlphbu0?si=EsPfIJIve7wd6NkC