SIGforum
Pmags

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/9580088484

September 20, 2021, 11:30 AM
old rugged cross
Pmags
That is bullshit bubba. Glad you like the Pmag. And your opinion is just your opinion. The Pmag is good. But the if your life is on the line bullshit is a bit much.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 20, 2021, 11:50 AM
Dwill104
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
As far as I know Magpul is the only one to come out and say who they were in that test.
They were given Foxtrot.
Official Report
I vaguely remember discussions on this on arfcom or m4carbine where Magpul was answering questions about it.

You can sort of guess which mag is Lancer, or at least narrow it down, by looking at the mag weights on table 2.1-1 (page 11 of the pdf). According to this TAG article, the Lancer weighs 4.4 oz.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns....arfighter-magazines/

From the table, Bravo and Hotel are too light, and Alpha and Delta far too heavy (I’m guessing they are steel mags, likely one of them is the HK SA80 mag). Foxtrot, India, and Charlie also seem too heavy. Narrows it down to Kilo, Lima, Echo, and Golf by weight. The note at the bottom of Table 1-1 says Golf wouldn’t fit in the (HK) M27 magwell, so Lancer isn’t Golf because their mags do fit in the HKs.

Kilo and Echo got the same score as Magpul (Foxtrot), 2. Lima was slightly worse, with a score of 4.

Not sure how anyone can conclude that Magpul are the best, since two other mags got the same score. I’m betting that Lancer is Kilo or Echo, likely Echo.
September 20, 2021, 11:56 AM
P220 Smudge
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I have a ton of GI aluminum mags and they are good too, but not as good as gen 3 PMAGS.

Can you qualify this statement?

September 20, 2021, 01:15 PM
KSGM
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I have had Lancer mags shit the bed. Personally. Seen it with my own eyes. I WANTED the Lancer mags to be superior. But they are not.

As someone else already said, it'd be a cool contribution to the conversation if you can relay these failures to the group.
September 21, 2021, 08:29 AM
bubbatime
A bunch of Lancer fan girls got their dresses all twisted up.

I have approaching 100,000 rounds down range in the AR15 platform. I am experienced in this platform. Maybe you have the same or more experience. Maybe not.

Lancer mags have choked for me. Florida sugar sand gets in them, and the follower binds up, the rounds don't feed. You can turn the mag over and shake the rounds out of the magazine. That's how bad the follower jams up. Magpul and aluminum GI mags, in the same conditions, and dropped in the same sugar sand, worked fine. Another problem, is the Lancer mag is much more prone to cause double feed jams when (if) you accidentally load the ammo slowly. If you ride the charging handle home for some reason (like an amateur might), it is FAR more likely to cause double feed jams than Magpul or GI.

For what its worth, I clean EVERY magazine I own after every time its been fired. So the Lancer mags started the range session perfectly cleaned. These were not neglected, dirty magazines. Because I have ZERO neglected, dirty magazines in my inventory of over 300 magazines. Every magazine I own is in perfect condition and is clean as a whistle inside. If it gets worn out, I get rid of it, or replace the spring. So these Lancer magazine failures that occurred for me, occurred in ONE range session, with just enough dirt acquired in them from one range session.

I've had far less failures with gen 3 PMAGS. I have looked at the data. I think its the best, most reliable, best designed magazine for the AR platform rifle on the market. You may think otherwise.

Aluminum GI mags are pretty good, and definitely good for long term storage and use (Vietnam mags still work perfect, 50 years later) BUT the Magpul mags are currently available. They are easily acquired.

Which mag has the best feed angle? The Magpul was properly designed here. It has the highest feed angle, that feeds higher into the chamber. This increases reliability. It prevents bullet set back and protects the aluminum feed ramps from excessive wear. To the people commenting in this post... are you even aware of this? Go compare your mags and look at the feed angle yourself. This is not a trivial matter.

Which mag is properly designed to fit 30 rounds? Only the Magpul. The Lancer requires you to grind off a round limiter. The GI mag is best loaded to 28 rounds. The Magpul will easily fit 30 rounds and has enough extra space built into the mag to easily lock in on a closed bolt. The Lancer and GI mag do not. The Lancer can be modified to be comparable to the Magpul, but from the factory, they install a round limiter.

Which mag is designed with constant curve geometry? The GI mag certainly is not.

You can choose your magazine of choice. I really don't care what you choose. Based on my experience, based on my evaluating all the data available to me, I truly 100% believe that the Magpul Gen 3 is the most reliable, best designed, combat ready magazine available for the AR15 rifle. Like I said earlier, I wanted to really like the Lancer mags. I really did. But in my experience, they just were not very good mags.

September 21, 2021, 10:05 AM
KSGM
Thanks for the thorough write-up, bubbatime. My dress has ben in an untwisted state throughout my attendance in this thread. I only own a few Lancers, and don't use them (though not for any reason). I just prefer GI mags, and have the most of them. I was curious as to your experiences, and I find your feedback on the lancers helpful. Thanks again.
September 23, 2021, 09:08 PM
Mettlepig
quote:

1. Sorry OP
2. So....When your called a "Snowflake" after one lousy post?
Im a Liberal Anti American"
I served my 20, and yes..I am very offended by the IGNORANT use of the "Snowflake" Comment.
3. maybe your the "Snowflake"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_(slang)
4. I'm done with this BS

quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Been here since 2007, picks a fight with the owner now. Smart move!

I picked a fight?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How's it coming with that evidence, snowflake? I would think the opportunity to make me eat my words would be highly motivating for you.

Your trying to put words in my mouth and still using a term you now know is offensive, but don't understand. Are you 12 on on the playground? Did you get my last post?

quote:
crickets

very touchy crickets

Your a dickhead and not worth further discussion. You could have asked me about my post, instead you chose to use insults, and bullying tactics, I'm not sure why, but but I guess everyone must obey the Queen. i don't intend to return to this forum.
September 23, 2021, 09:23 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
i don't intend to return to this forum.
What makes you think you would be allowed to? I asked you to produce evidence to support your claim. You've had all the time you would need to do so, and more, and all you've done throughout this entire thread is piss and moan.

If you make an outrageous claim about this forum, you had better be able to back it up, but you have not done so, and you have not done so because you can't, and the reason you can't is because your claim is false.

Here is why you were crying:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...960057184#7960057184
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Mettlepig:
the feedlips crack
As I recall, this has been disputed by the manufacturer.
Do you have links establishing that it's been demonstrated?
You had a member ask you- quite gently- for evidence to support your claim, and this is what you consider being "ripped apart".

I've seen sensitive members in this forum but you take the cake, snowflake, and that is an appropriate name for someone who considers a simple question to be indicative of a forum-wide attitude against making any negative statements about Pmags. Ridiculous. Grow the fuck up, but do it elsewhere.

Banned
October 07, 2021, 09:33 PM
Blackwater
Here's a couple of my observations with Lancer, PMAGs (Gen 3 and prior) all in the 20 rd config.

The Lancers have been used a lot as that was the only mag I was running for a number of years. I started to have some failures to feed especially with the last 2 rounds and failure to hold the bolt open. I suspect the mag spring became weak after being loaded for an extended time. I use them for practice only now, but mostly they still work,

Early 20 rd PMAGs and Gen 3 20 round mags have worked flawlessly. Some of the mags have been loaded for extended periods without deformation of any kind or feeding/reliability failures.

I have a couple 30 round gen 2 PMAGS that are loaded down to 28. I've not used them in some time, but I'm curious now.

Joe
October 07, 2021, 09:43 PM
parabellum
I've got quite a few of the early 20 round Pmags, but I've never used them. I always felt the magazine springs were kind of on the weak side. The Gen3 20 round magazines, those are nice, and they work.

I've never compared- do the 30 round Lancers use USGI magazine springs, or is the spring design proprietary?
October 07, 2021, 10:19 PM
Blackwater
quote:
I've got quite a few of the early 20 round Pmags, but I've never used them. I always felt the magazine springs were kind of on the weak side. The Gen3 20 round magazines, those are nice, and they work.

I've never compared- do the 30 round Lancers use USGI magazine springs, or is the spring design proprietary?

That is a great question but I don't know the answer to it.
Lancer just calls them stainless steel springs and Magpul specifically calls out USGI-spec SS springs.

Joe
October 09, 2021, 02:55 PM
BillF
failure to hold the bolt open.

I have also had this with two new Lancer 20 round magazines. It appears in my case the the followers had just enough fore and aft play to allow them to shift forward. Resulting in the bolt carrier not being held after the last round.
As I only own these Lancers I do not know if it is just a batch of out of spec followers or not. None of my PMAGs, old G.I. or Okay industries have ever done this.
October 21, 2021, 06:06 PM
mo4040
The only issue that I have encountered using the Pmag is that they wont drop free in my LMT MARS-L lower. They will drop free in my BCM, Aero Precisioon, and Bushmaster (pre-Remy buy out) lowers.

Aluminnum USGI mags will drop free in all my lowers, but since I train frequently, I like Pmags because they shrug off being stepped on.