SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Issues with 9mm Aero upper and Angstadt Arms lower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Issues with 9mm Aero upper and Angstadt Arms lower Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
I have a 9mm Aero upper that I am using with an Angstadt Arms lower. I just installed it and took it to the range and it locks back on a full magazine after each shot. Looking at it, there is a rod, sort of like a thin allen wrench, on the upper that is tripped by the lower to be the magazine catch spring (I guess), that is super stiff and I'm wondering if that is the issue. Magazines and ammo make no difference and the lower functioned fine with the Foxtrot Mike upper I had on it previously.

Thoughts?

I was going to post pictures but I wasn't sure what I should be posting a picture of so . . . I'm happy to do that if you tell me what to take.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have not heard of that lower before. Take a couple pix of it. FTM's are good to go so I doubt that is the problem.
Glock mag lower?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are some many variations of this that one would need some more info. What mag type for starters?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Are you using the Aero EPC upper that has a LRBHO catch in conjunction with an Angstadt lower that has its own LRBHO feature? If so they're not playing nice is my guess.

Edit:
The Aero EPC upper is distinctive with a plate and catch bar on the left side. It stands out on this photo of their FDE version

https://d2df4e9l5rljaz.cloudfr...er-w-lrbho-fde-2.jpg

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
Are you using the Aero EPC upper that has a LRBHO catch in conjunction with an Angstadt lower that has its own LRBHO feature? If so they're not playing nice is my guess.

Edit:
The Aero EPC upper is distinctive with a plate and catch bar on the left side. It stands out on this photo of their FDE version

https://d2df4e9l5rljaz.cloudfr...er-w-lrbho-fde-2.jpg

Yes, they both have their own LRBHO feature and I too suspect that they aren't playing nice. I had been thinking about taking out the Aero feature.

Mags tried: magpul pmag g17, 22, 27, OEM Glock 17 (2 different).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
You should be able to remove the plate from the upper and fire it without that set of LRBHO hardware. If that's your fix it should be pretty easy to defeat the mechanism, or switch it out for a plain upper.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try that. Thanks!

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
On the Angstadt lower, there is a pivoting lever on the left side of the lower which has a horizontal tab which engages the little shelf on the Glock mags follower as the follower comes up to empty as the gun is fired.

That tab can be GENTLY bent to adjust the final alignment with different uppers in order to have perfect bolt lock open on an empty mag.

If you need help feel free to email me and we can chat on the phone. Hope that helps.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
If you need help feel free to email me and we can chat on the phone. Hope that helps.

I removed the lever from the Aero upper. I'll get that to the range and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I'll give you a call. Thanks for the offer!

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:

I removed the lever from the Aero upper. I'll get that to the range and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I'll give you a call. Thanks for the offer!

This worked a treat, thanks!

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the Angstadt lower, there is a pivoting lever on the left side of the lower which has a horizontal tab which engages the little shelf on the Glock mags follower as the follower comes up to empty as the gun is fired.

That tab can be GENTLY bent to adjust the final alignment with different uppers in order to have perfect bolt lock open on an empty mag.

I have noticed that this isn't happening all the time. I will do some checking to see if it's a magazine thing or maybe if I need to bend something.