SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Of all the M14's I have, I don't have a standard configuration. **Build compete!**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of all the M14's I have, I don't have a standard configuration. **Build compete!** Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Looks like a problem that needs fixin'

-LRB M14 NM receiver
-TRW bolt
-H&R Op-Rod
-H&R Trigger group
-Minelli walnut stock
-Criterion 22" barrel
-GI rear sight set
-GI flash suppressor, unreamed
-GI gas cylinder (disregard the unitized one in the bottom of the pic, that's for my M25 project)

I'm just missing a few small parts that I'll probably take off another one of my M14's I have that I'm not using.

Still need to acquire a front sling swivel, stock liner screws and a castle nut.

This one will remain unbedded. Might tune the trigger and that's about it.

Thanks for looking,

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5520 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. Did you forego a surplus USGI stock because of the selector cutout? Just curious, I made a drop in filler for mine. Also, do you prefer the ventilated upper handguard over filled ones?

I lucked into a pre-ban Springfield Armory (Geneseo, IL) M1A with USGI parts about 27 years ago. It is all SA except for a Winchester barrel, that I want to eventually swap for a SA barrel, which I already have. Being OCD again.

Good luck with your build.

Posts: 520 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Yes, I chose the Minelli due to the selector cutout. Plus, they are very nice stocks!

Tony.

Posts: 5520 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I like the lighter weight of standard barrels. Very handy.

That is a super nice stock. My selector cutout irritates me.

That one is going to be nice. I like the vented handguards too.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7018 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
That'll be a great shooting and great looking rifle, Tony. Those slim Minelli stocks are awesome. I'm still loving the M14 you massaged for me. It's a prized possession.

Posts: 2342 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Looking forward to finishing this one. I'll have it done by next week at the latest. I really needed a classic M14 in the herd. All my others are Highpower, long range or tactical builds. Not one wood rifle in the bunch.

My next one is going to be a M25 with an 18" Kreiger medium weight barrel in a composite stock with a 1-6X Vortex Razor.

Tony.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a "standard" M14 for a while, I guess I still kinda don't, because I had picked up a SOCOM.

Anytime someone wants a starter recommendation, I have long said an SAI "loaded" model is the best, or just that standard.

The M14/M1A is a rifleman's rifle.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

That's going to be one sweet rifle! Kind of like my rifle that you built and Ted Brown bedded. It's sweet!

You'll like the wood stock variant...I do.

Wes

Posts: 2456 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tony,
Why would someone team the flash suppressor? And what does it do

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Tony,
Why would someone team the flash suppressor? And what does it do

It's generally done on service rifles and it claims to give the bullet more clearance in case you're shooting in the rain. The thought was that if the flash suppressor gets wet, a water drop inside the FS will deflect the bullet as it exits. I don't think it does.

The reamed FS also allows for a misaligment of the FS and the bore, thus giving the bullet more clearance and the risk of a bullet hitting the orifice of the FS is eliminated. I personally have seen bullet strike the FS on the way out. It leaves copper streaks inside the FS.

Tony.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I have a standard Springfield I got as a gift when Tommy was born. It has the fiberglass stock (I filled in the auto gap hole with JB weld). It shoots fine for a mil spec rifle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11460 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The NM reaming is to remove variables and keep the appearance. The water droplet thing is an old wives tale.

Arc.

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tony,

You mean that after your wood stock build you want one of these...

Posts: 2456 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Got her mostly finished up today! Looks like I was missing a bolt stop from my kit. No problem though.

Should have her tested sometime next week.

Tony.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty!

Posts: 9200 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That grain on the wood is beautiful!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8532 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had never previously considered an M14 until perusing all of your builds, you are going to end up costing me $…

Posts: 1681 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
I had never previously considered an M14 until perusing all of your builds, you are going to end up costing me $…

posted Hide Post
94hokie, TonyBen, and all...

Let me jump in here just to help.

I have six of TonyBen's (Benny6's)M-14's in various configurations. I recommend him and his work above all others for M-14 work. If you want to learn more ABOUT M-14's and M1A's he's your man. His work is reasonable and work is top notch.

Here's a USMC DMR clone he built for me and a group it shot. Beyond reproach...

Wes

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The vented handguards are made in Italy, but they sure look great.

Arc.