SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What barrel length 223/5.56 AR rifles do you have the most of?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel length 223/5.56 AR rifles do you have the most of? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Many good points about what makes a barrel length popular. As an example, it’s obvious that if the NFA still regulated rifle barrels the same way as shotguns’, the 18" version would probably be the most popular.

To reiterate, the purpose of the poll was to determine within its limits if I was wrong in my assumption that the 16" was most commonly owned, and whether I was mistaken in my belief that ammunition reviewers and accessory manufacturers might do well to give that fact more consideration.

Although it’s somewhat of an exaggeration—but not much—it would be similar to someone’s doing a “comprehensive” review of striker fired pistols and not including any Glocks. As I say, I had long suspected that it was odd to ignore the 16 inch AR, but I was willing to consider whether perhaps other barrel lengths were more common than I thought based on my own limited experiences. Again, thanks for all the responses and comments.

Edited typo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the results would look like if one could reliably measure the input of the AR owners who shoot "seriously" and/or "a lot". Maybe we'd see a more even playing field, as folks with the tactical leaning may prefer barrels shorter than 16", and folks of the precision persuasion would likely prefer longer than 16". That being said, it may not be out of line for ammunition manufacturers to cater their output, and testers to cater their testing, to the hungriest consumers of said ammunition; maybe that's not the 16" crowd.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I wonder what the results would look like if one could reliably measure the input of the AR owners who shoot "seriously" and/or "a lot".

Good question that might merit another poll, and might be more valid. I would bet a nickel, though, that that information isn’t something that influences the decisions of the average YouTuber.
The one exception I would note pertaining to manufacturers’ products is Hornady’s 5.56 75 grain TAP SBR load.

My complaint or as I like to think of it, observation ( Wink ), isn’t going to change anything, but the poll does at least give me the satisfaction of some validation of my own perceptions and beliefs. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If the PSA 14.7" upper wasn't already P&W I'm not sure if I would have opted for that size or stayed with 16"
Most likely would have kept on with the 16"

As noted 1.3" less barrel wouldn't have inspired me to do it myself although I have everything to do it.
But the PSA is a nice upper and barrel that shoots and handles well.
I sold off the 16" as I figured if I was going to have another with a longer barrel then 18" seemed a good compromise between just a bit more umph and not feeling too long.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 ARs @ 16" and one 8" AR pistol with that evil brace/stock thingy.
I haven't shot any of them in a while and I should.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 300 Blackout and one AR in 223 Wylde feature 16 inch barrels and primarily iron sights. Yeah, I'm old enough to consider electronic sights to be Cheating.

My final AR is a full on precision rifle and a full on Cheat due to the 4-12 power scope mounted on it. This one has a 20 inch heavy profile Shilen barrel mounted to it. Yeah cloverleafs at 100 yards are fun but toting that 11 lbs. beast around is something I would not want to do for more than a mile or two.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine are of the 16" variety and serve me well. I had smaller length barreled guns prior, but the 16" works best for me.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two 14.5” PW and an 11.5” SBR. One day I want to add a standard GI style 20” rifle. The SBR is light and handy but the M4 style but with a short fixed stock is still my favorite.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jed7s9b,

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 328 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 223 barrels from 14.5" to 24". My most common is 16", but 14.5" and 18" tie for second place. If I had to stick with only one barrel length, it would be either 16" or 18". Probably 16" if I didn't engage long range targets. But 18" is definitely better once targets go beyond 350-ish yards. The longer barrel's higher velocity makes a difference with drop and drift.

Shorter barrels can be very accurate at the shorter distances of 100 yards and in. Have a competing buddy who uses a 12" barrel in 2-rifle matches. It can produce 1/2" groups at 100 yards, equaling the accuracy of my longer match barrels. However, as target distances increase much beyond 200-250 yards, wind drift takes a toll on hit percentages. Still, he's won a number of the 2-rifle matches with that lightweight AR15. He's just fast and accurate on the targets out to 150-200 yards.

My heavy-barrel 20" AR15 likely weighs 12 or 13 pounds -- it is what it is. Carried it for hours in Team Safari matches. Ran up and down hills with it in the Burris Team Challenge hour-long field stages. But it hits targets almost as well as a bolt action -- 600+ yards on 12" steel is reasonable in windy conditions. As long as I don't have to support the rifle off-hand, this is my favorite AR15 to shoot.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have more 16” barrels than any other, but my favorite length is 14.5”. I have shorter and longer barrels, but the most handy size that I keep coming back to is the 14.5”.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post