SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sling keeper for AR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sling keeper for AR Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
What does everyone use for a sling keeper on their HD or duty gun? I’ve seen some say a rubber band, but is there an inexpensive product that works better?

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
If 'inexpensive' is your criteria, then no, there is nothing better than a rubber band or old bicycle inner tube.

I have gone the rubber band route and it is ok. I did, however, go ahead and buy one of these:

magnetic sling keeper

Posts: 1294 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use these from BFG, which are relatively cheap at $7 apiece, and which work well.

https://www.blueforcegear.com/sling-sleeve.html

But honestly, you can achieve a similar effect for even cheaper with just a cutoff piece of bike inner tube around the stock.
(Inner tube pieces are generally better than rubber bands, since rubber bands can break down over time, especially if exposed to UV light.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sentry Strap from HSP and really like it.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I like that Rogue. Thanks for the pix.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Some good choices here. Thanks guys!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also consider the Centrifuge Training Sling. It has a built-in retaining hook in the rear triglide.

Before that, I bought a package of Gearward's Ranger Bands and put them on my rifles. Bike innertube arguably does the same thing.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
But honestly, you can achieve a similar effect for even cheaper with just a cutoff piece of bike inner tube around the stock.
(Inner tube pieces are generally better than rubber bands, since rubber bands can break down over time, especially if exposed to UV light.)

That's what I do, but I use those heavy-duty rubber wristbands that everybody is always giving away at trade shows or school events...seems like my kids are always bringing them home or I find them lying around at work. They work well and I haven't had one break yet.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Ranger bands but I like the BFG that Rogue posted.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Forward Controls makes a couple sling keeps. The bungee one comes disassembled so you can thread it through somewhere and clamp it shut.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdes...ing-Keep-A_p_97.html

https://www.forwardcontrolsdes...ng-Keep-B_p_102.html

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use one of the Lunar Concepts Bubba Tabs and really like it.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmm... a rifle stock with a retractable seat belt like mechanism built into it!

Off the the drawing board, I'm going to make dozens of dollars!

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Hmm... a rifle stock with a retractable seat belt like mechanism built into it!

Off the the drawing board, I'm going to make dozens of dollars!

The folding stock version of the French MAS-36, known as the CR-39 and intended for paratroop use, included a seatbelt-style sling winding mechanism in the buttstock.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
I also use the Blue Force Gear sling keeper. Works great.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inexpensive?
Ranger Bands. Nothing more than a thick rubber band.

Go to a local bike shop and ask for an old inner-tube. Probably get it for free and an odd look from whoever is at the counter.

Or just grab a big rubber band from a desk at the station for a duty gun. They're free.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post