SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Never marry the wrong woman so you can keep your guns.. true story
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never marry the wrong woman so you can keep your guns.. true story Login/Join 
posted
A few years ago my buddy who is also a retired CPO like myself called me up and said “ I found the perfect woman and need to sell my SCAR 16 to get the ring SHE picked out”. I got that rifle for a steal. Fast forward to yesterday, he calls me up and says, I have a NIB SCAR 17s with NRCH I need to sale to pay my divorce lawyer”. $2800 for the rifle as it sits with rolling hard case extra mags and Barnes 308 ammo in the mags.

Please choose your spouse carefully. I have been with mine 32 wonderful years.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Marry in haste, repent at leisure.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Traded a Rolex Submariner to my attorney to pay for a divorce. Some years later, my Ex asked how much my divorce cost me. I said nothing in cash.
Hers was north of 10K. And she got pissed all over again!
Totally worth it!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Sad he didn’t choose wisely. But you made out on the rifles at least. Hope he learns if there is a next time.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
The lesson that I’ve learned (the hard way) is stop getting re-married. Lmao

Posts: 329 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I read the thread title, I had two things equally (actually worse) come to mind.

Scenario 1: Your wife of many years decides after being brainwashed my the media that possessing firearms is "dangerous" and says sell them or I'm leaving.

Scenario 2: Your wife of many years has "had it" and declares she hates you and wants out. Just to make sure you remember her after she's gone, she calls the cops and has you arrested for domestic abuse. You lose your guns, she's gone and you carry that with you the rest of your life....

Posts: 2010 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Maybe better advice is to pick friends who pick the wrong women Big Grin

But your advice is correct. Thankfully when I got divorced we split things logically and not based on value. What was clearly mine was clearly mine, what was clearly hers was clearly hers.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Thankfully when I got divorced we split things logically and not based on value. What was clearly mine was clearly mine, what was clearly hers was clearly hers.

I was lucky enough to do the same.

But I suspect we're the minority. Many divorces seem to devolve into one or both trying to "stick it to" the ex, by whatever means possible. Usually by screwing them out of prized possessions/their retirement/their kids/etc.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Thankfully when I got divorced we split things logically and not based on value. What was clearly mine was clearly mine, what was clearly hers was clearly hers.

I was lucky enough to do the same.

But I suspect we're the minority. Many divorces seem to devolve into one or both trying to "stick it to" the ex, by whatever means possible. Usually by screwing them out of prized possessions/their retirement/their kids/etc.

My divorce started out amicably. We agreed to split everything 50-50. A few days later I got served a restraining order and the wife now wanted it all, everything. She talked to her friends and they told her to stick it to me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
When I read the thread title, I had two things equally (actually worse) come to mind.

Scenario 1: Your wife of many years decides after being brainwashed my the media that possessing firearms is "dangerous" and says sell them or I'm leaving.

Scenario 2: Your wife of many years has "had it" and declares she hates you and wants out. Just to make sure you remember her after she's gone, she calls the cops and has you arrested for domestic abuse. You lose your guns, she's gone and you carry that with you the rest of your life....

Since the comma was not present after "woman", I actually inferred that he or someone he knows married the wrong woman in order to keep his guns.

It's an unlikely scenario for sure, but punctuation matters. Smile

Posts: 2659 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stormin:
The lesson that I’ve learned (the hard way) is stop getting re-married. Lmao

Got you beat. I just skipped it altogether Razz

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12614 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Rogue - Oh yeah I agree we are the minority. And what Flash-LB mentions is likely the reason many other divorce cases go poorly. As amicable as our divorce was, her parents definitely got to her and started getting too involved. I get that they were trying to look out for their daughter but they were pushing her to do things based on what they’d heard from other divorce horror stories.

Thankfully we got it sorted out without their influence being too much of a factor but if she’d had friends and other family members getting involved it might have not gone as good.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15250 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27915 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I didn't have to deal with this. My wife's ring was discontinued and SUPER discounted. "It's a piece of metal with a rock on it," she says. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold an excellent condition WWII flame thrower in 1995 to purchase our wedding rings and pay for the wedding. Best deal I ever made.

You have to marry the right spouse, not the best spouse. By the time you understand the difference, it’s too late for some.

18Z50

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 18Z50,

Posts: 364 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I sold my Sig Pro to help pay for my wife’s engagement ring 10 years ago and what’s crazy is the shop gave me more than I’d paid originally!

My wife is a cheapskate and I mean that in the most loving way possible because it counterbalances me, the guy who my Dad told as a kid “that money is burning a hole in your pocket!”

I’m actually glad to be married to someone like that and not someone spending me into the poorhouse.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
There is nothing a wife can do for you that a girlfriend cannot.
It's a one sided proposition where us guys have all of the risk and none of the security.
That and women who know that there are plenty of others on deck to replace them if they choose to behave poorly tend to be more agreeable.
And lastly, why in the rolling hills of f@!#$ would you sell something to pay for a shiney trinket for your woman? Is there a mad rush to do it right now? Save up for a bit and just pay for the darned thing. Maybe that time will help you think straighter and you'll do the smart thing and buy another gun. Cool

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post

Never been married, but did buy a house with a lady back in 1980. Fought for two years with lawyers over the house. I ended up with it and I’ve had it paid off since 1987. That was the first and last time I would ever become financially entangled with a woman. Have never become financially involved with my current lady of 25 years and it’s been great.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I sold a really nice AR for the time..( Clinton AWB era) to pay for Mrs. Dryfly’s ring. Was a good investment! She’s still here Wink

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post