SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My new Colt AR15A4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My new Colt AR15A4 Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
The M16 that I was issued in boot camp was the first semi-automatic rifle I had ever fired. Having grown up the son of a hunter all I had fired until then was pump, bolt and lever action long guns. I loved that gun and swore I’d get one eventually.

Several years later, almost immediately after the Clinton ban expired, I obtained my first AR rifle, a Bushmaster XM-15. Since then I have bought a sold several AR rifles and pistols, but I always chose “tacticool” additions and none of them brought as much joy at the range as several other of my semi-auto rifles.

I saw this Colt on sale a few days ago and jumped on it. I took it out today and it brought back some smiles. I love this basic configuration and it reminds me of my youth. It’s not exactly the same, this is an A4 and I had an A2, and of course this one doesn’t have that fun 3-round burst option, but I think I love it more than any other AR I own. I’m going to keep this one very near stock. I might change the grip but I’m still not even sure if I’ll do that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I’m on the same page…my Colt AR-15 A2 was acquired solely due to military experiences with the M16A2 counterpart. I’ve only added the buttstock mag carrier and 3-point sling I used in the sandbox, as well as the OD green M9 bayonet to stick things as needed! KISS on this setup!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 659 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I have the M7 bayonet, cleaning kit and original GI sling on order right now.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Nice!
I'm a fan as well.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I had the M16 A1 variant when I was in the Army and I keep one just like the OPs in the safe for nostalgia.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Enjoy!

The other day, I was talking with my brother. He's owned a few dozen AR's, many of them Colts either from, or configured the way issued rifles were in the 60's and 70's. In there were several 607's, and then there was a 604 I really should have bought off him.

Anyway, For all that, he was saying he wants to build or buy a plain-'ol A2 HBAR. We didn't serve, but it's the rifle we grew up seeing issued. We're nearly 40, so the A2 is old enough now that it's "retro." I told him I'd actually wouldn't mind joining him in such an endeavor. There's something about an AR from the time just before there were rails all over guns. I get the practicality, but my safe is loaded with mostly "obsolete" military rifles and the A2 now qualifies.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! All the kool kids laugh at me when I take a 20 inch rifle to the range. I just tell them to put an apple in their mouth so I can show them how good it shoots... VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Side note- my son just graduated MCRD Parris Island. Midway through first phase, they were issued brand new FN M16A4s. He was stoked about it and ultimately fired a 336/350. Unfortunately, the series high was 340.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Did you by chance get that from Arms Unlimited? I've been eyeing their sale on the AR15A4.

I was initially issued an M16A2 in training and then an M4, followed by an M4A1. I just finished my M4A1 clone so now I'm thinking about a 20"...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Side note- my son just graduated MCRD Parris Island. Midway through first phase, they were issued brand new FN M16A4s. He was stoked about it and ultimately fired a 336/350. Unfortunately, the series high was 340.

Brand new? Damn. Though funny enough the rifle I had in boot camp was in far better condition than the one I got issued at Lejuene. It certainly wasn’t brand new though.

I never was a great rifle shot. I barely shot Expert on Parris Island but never achieved better than sharpshooter in the fleet. I’d like to blame the rifle, but that was not it. 336 out of 350 is a great score.

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Decker:
Did you by chance get that from Arms Unlimited? I've been eyeing their sale on the AR15A4.

I was initially issued an M16A2 in training and then an M4, followed by an M4A1. I just finished my M4A1 clone so now I'm thinking about a 20"...

I got it from Classic Firearms. They had it listed as a daily deal a couple weeks back, though I just saw it listed this past weekend for the same price so I’m not sure how much of a deal I got.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
First rifle I was issued in the CG was an M16…..yup, full giggle switch and fixed carry handle with the wind age that adjusted with a round.

We swapped the uppers in 90 to A2 uppers.

They started transitioning to the M4 when I was retiring in 2011.

There’s something about a 20” heavy barrel with round grips and NM sights though ….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! That's the way an AR should look. I have a Colt HBAR bought new about 1990 and love it.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

That is surprising as I was under the impression all services had transitioned completely to M4’s.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have the full suite of firearm (clones) I had armory cards for...
20" AR-15 in A2 configuration
Berretta M-9
Mossberg 590-a1
MP5

There is just something comforting with the familiarity I have with these firearms.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I have the full suite of firearm (clones) I had armory cards for...
20" AR-15 in A2 configuration
Berretta M-9
Mossberg 590-a1
MP5

There is just something comforting with the familiarity I have with these firearms.

I get that. I almost put my M9 in the picture too.

Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
That is surprising as I was under the impression all services had transitioned completely to M4’s.

Marines issue the M16A4 for entry level training, and many are still used by non-infantry ground units in the fleet. The M4 is standard in infantry regiments and battalions for anyone not issued an M27 IAR. From what I’ve seen, air crews have also fully transitioned to M4s.

In 2019 I saw an Army reservist carrying a good old-fashioned M16A2 in Afghanistan. I told her it was a cool old rifle and she seemed a little embarrassed with it. I don’t know how low on the totem pole you have to be to rate an A2 as your overseas issue rifle nowadays. It was the first rifle I went to war with and we never felt outmatched with them in those days.

My personal Armalite M15A2 is still my favorite fun gun to shoot. What always amazes me when I pick it up is how much lighter our old M16A2s were than the current M4s with all their quad rails and mounted optics.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That looks VERY familiar to me! My issued weapon during my stint in the Army was the M16A2

If I ever bought an AR, it would be like that one, these modern AR’s with no carry handle and front sight post look strange to me.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I enjoy all the different configurations but the Colt Match Target was my first AR … it was the nurtured model with no flash-hider, threaded barrel or bayonet lug.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
There is no better shooter than a 20" AR.

Everyone loves the carbine but if push came to shove I'd grab my 20".

(Bonus points for those of us that can actually adjust the sights and hit targets with the A2).

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post