SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marzy's Unusual Rifle Of The Week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marzy's Unusual Rifle Of The Week Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is that a kangaroo having unnatural relations with a porpoise?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is that a kangaroo having unnatural relations with a porpoise?

I guess you didn't know that was a thing, huh? Where do you think these wily buggers come from?

On topic, I think one of those in .357 would be an absolute hoot.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have another one on the way I picked up off GB for little of nothing that is taking a trip to be cut to .357mag.

I hope my bid on my slouch hat on the fleabay works out!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
How does the action on that thing work? Is it a lever gun? Where do you load the bullet? Does it have an internal mag or just one round at a time?

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
^^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martini–Henry

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
How does the action on that thing work? Is it a lever gun? Where do you load the bullet? Does it have an internal mag or just one round at a time?

It's a breech loading, falling block single shot rifle like a Ruger No1.

Works very similar to that Peabody I posted up a few weeks ago.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, my first trial set of bullets are ready.

They are made from fire forming 32-20 cases and reloading with 124gr .328 cast heeled bullets from a mold I ordered from Australia.

The bullets work flawless for the 32-20 rechamber, so they should be spectacular in the .310.

I got lucky, my gun will chamber a cut down 32-20 just fine. Sometimes the base has to be trimmed .020.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Standard 32-20 worked, but we cut cases down .01 and used heeled bullets.

Mars, what did cutting the cases down and using unheeled bullets do to make things work better?

Also, do you use a case trimmer to do the cutting or something more?

Lastly, because I haven't found an answer on DuckDuck, what are unheeled bullets and how do they differ from regular ones?

Thanks in advance for the lessons. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The unheeled bullets patterned like a punt gun.

A heeled bullet is wide as the case mouth outside diameter with a heel that is the inside diameter. It gets you more bullet into the grove without expanding the case past the chamber wall.

Yeah, we just used a Hornady case mouth trimmer to cut them down.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lastly, because I haven't found an answer on DuckDuck, what are unheeled bullets and how do they differ from regular ones

“Unheeled” bullets are normal or “regular”. The sides are the same....like a 38 357 44 45 9mm etc.

the most common heeled bullet is the venerable 22lr. The part inside the case is smaller in diameter than the rest of the bullet.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the video of shooting it today.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I see you got your hat! Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Nice going Mars.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're neat little rifles. I owned six of them at one time. Some still in .310 Cadet or Rook, and a couple converted. I still have some 310 ammo, but nothing to shoot it in Frown

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Would you want to sell or trade it?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Lookit what just arrived from Australia!

$1.50 a piece when you include tax and shipping at that!

They are $4.00 each here IF you can find them plus tax and shipping.

I have a new friend on the Australian shooters board that made a trade with me. I paid him to go buy and ship these and sent him a vintage zippo as payment for his troubles.

He had business there and drove by the factory to pick them up, then few back to Perth to ship them.

They won't ship to the US because of some stupid firearms law.

My Slouch hat is on the way. It was his in the military.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post