SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1A Tanker stock before and after...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1A Tanker stock before and after... Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

Recently got a Tanker M1A with nice wood. Put two coats of Teak Oil on it and I thought you would like to see the before and after pictures of it. My put a third coat on, but for now this is it.

Wes

Rifle "as received":

Rifle after two coats of teak oil:

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great! I did a similar project on my M1a Loaded, although I also sanded mine to smooth it out which really brought out the grain.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

I'm curious: Is there a particular reason you went with Teak Oil instead of the more traditional Tung Oil or Linseed Oil? Or was it more just a matter of using what you had on hand?

Posts: 32521 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,

Decided on Teak oil as it tendds to soak in well and I wanted a more satin finish on the rifle. So far so good. We'll see what the third coat looks like in a week or two...

Wes

Posts: 2427 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Some nice grain on that stock. Are you gonna seal it with some Renaissance Wax when you're done?

Posts: 17150 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge,

I have the Renaissance Wax on the shelf. Am going toto do a 3rd coat of Teak Oil and then the wax. Should look great when done!

Wes