SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Smith & Wesson FPC folding pistol carbine just released
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Smith & Wesson FPC folding pistol carbine just released Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Owned a 9 and a 40 Sub2000. Could never get past that "trigger might break" feeling every time you pulled it. Along with the "feels like it might break" everything else on it. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
$600 on PSA, pass

Have you priced a Sub2k lately? You're looking at $450 and up. S&W would really really have to have screwed this up for it not to be at least $150 better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I have about 6000 rounds through a KT Sub2K that I shot Steel Challenge matches with over a three year period. It worked very well.

This FPC by S&W is right up my alley, and will probably be my new Steel Challenge PCC.

The side-folding mechanism means finally being able to mount an optic and remaining compact in size. I will be buying one as soon as they are available locally.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really wanted to love my sub 2k but no good way to mount an optic and my head was too big for the sights. I upgraded to the mcarbo metal rear sight but it didn't help enough. This looks like a good improvement on the sub2k concept. If only it took glock mags Smile

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Free EnterpriseCapitalism in action!!!

___
https://www.keltecweapons.com/sub2000-rebate/

"Purchase a new SUB2000 from any FFL dealer between March 1, 2023 and June 30, 2023. Then submit a rebate form at kelt.ec/s2krebate. You will need a picture of the product Serial Number from the packaging and the original receipt from the retailer where the firearm was purchased.

Some restrictions apply. Read the complete terms & conditions."
___
'Murrica!!!

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^Nice. PSA has them for $429 today. I have one already though, do I need two?

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So Smith & Wesson basically ripped off a Kel-Tec design that’s been around for 10+ years and made it folds sideways instead of top to bottom?

LOL

I’ll stick with my Sub2000

quote:
Originally posted by amc:

I really wanted to love my sub 2k but no good way to mount an optic

I put a 1 inch riser, and Bushnell red dot scope and it’s perfect now. I lost the ability to fold, but I never really used that feature anyway but they do make a mount now that allows you to fold it with an optic.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lgs, Florida Gun Exchange, is offering an instant rebate on their Sub2000’s. $349. I would never pay 600 for this gun. Ever.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
From one of my favorite reviewers:

I have a Beretta CX4 but kind of like a lot of what this is.
No, not perfect but as the video above shows it is a pretty good shooter.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jerry Miculek has a go with it:

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
From one of my favorite reviewers:

I have a Beretta CX4 but kind of like a lot of what this is.
No, not perfect but as the video above shows it is a pretty good shooter.

I watched Honest Outlaw's early review a couple of days ago. He didn't like the folding mechanism but it does alleviate the sight issues that the Sub-2k has when it folds. Overall Chris seemed very impressed with the gun. Shame that I'd have to go on a registry to own one in this anti semi-auto state (sigh)...

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
My lgs, Florida Gun Exchange, is offering an instant rebate on their Sub2000’s. $349. I would never pay 600 for this gun. Ever.

Whew- FGX has taken ALOT of money from me over the years. Lol.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already have a Sub 2K and like it so I won't be getting the Smith version. I think I prefer the Keltec over the Smith anyway. The ability to keep an optic mounted on the Smith when folded is the main if not only advantage of the Smith to me. Has anyone tried this mount on the Keltec? https://midwestindustriesinc.c...00-mini-optic-mount/ I just ordered one so I may be our beta tester.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The ability to accept other manufacturer's magazines would be a big plus for this carbine, but somehow, I don't see S&W doing this. Then again, the carbine comes with three magazines so it's not that big of a deal.

A disassembled 14.5" AR15 with a pinned and welded flash hider can fit into a backpack or storage case quite handily. Assembly of the rifle would take about 10 or 12 seconds and a loaded 20 round magazine can be in the magazine well of the disassembled rifle, so you would be ready to go with a pull on the charging handle.

You might find yourself in a situation in which that handful of seconds difference between mating an AR upper and lower versus unfolding one of these KelTec-type carbines would matter, but I think this is rather unlikely, especially since most of us will have a pistol at the ready anyway.

Such being the case, if any of you are considering one of these carbines, give some thought to a disassembled AR15 instead.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107573 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
I do wonder if an Apex (or even a stock) trigger for a M 2.0 handgun will just drop right into this thing.
I’m sure we will find out, soon.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I sure do wish it were in 5.7 like their new pistol. That would get my attention. Not that I'm anti-Ruger or anything but I like the S&W 5.7 better than the Ruger and mag compatibility is important for this use case.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
This carbine appeals to me simply because I am fairly invested in the M&P platform and have eleventy hundred mags already. A red dot and a violin case and I'd be ready to go.
I'd be really cool if they released one in 10mm as a companion to their newer pistol chambered in the same.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've thought about a PCC. And, of the ones I've looked at/considered, I'd say the S&W FPC I like about the best. But, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it's role would be in my life, other than to have a PCC.

For many that would be enough. For me, these days, it is not.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it's role would be in my life, other than to have a PCC.

I use mine (it's an AR, not this goofy thing) for rifle drills on close range (inside of 50 yards) steel. It's a hoot, and I don't have to pay for expensive frangible ammo to train with.

Posts: 8565 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it's role would be in my life, other than to have a PCC.

I use mine (it's an AR, not this goofy thing) for rifle drills on close range (inside of 50 yards) steel. It's a hoot, and I don't have to pay for expensive frangible ammo to train with.

+1 for 92fstech's comments

A quality AR-pattern 9mm is a great firearm. I also bought one for short-distance training. My AR15s damage steel at distances under 100 yards. A 9mm's velocity is too slow to damage steel, even at contact distances. 9mm ammo is cheaper than 223 ammo. With 147 grain ammo and a suppressor, the 9mm AR is much quieter than a suppressed AR15. My 9mm's accuracy is outstanding out to 200 yards -- the farthest I've shot it so far.

Review our practice on the Sigforum "Postal Match" for what can be done with a 9mm AR.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post