SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Smith & Wesson FPC folding pistol carbine just released
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Smith & Wesson FPC folding pistol carbine just released Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what it's role would be in my life, other than to have a PCC.

This FPC has Steel Challenge gun written all over it. In addition, my KT Sub2K serves very well as a truck gun, in a normal backpack. So will the M&P folding carbine.
9mm in 147 grain variety works really well in rifle-length barrels.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So Smith & Wesson basically ripped off a Kel-Tec design that’s been around for 10+ years and made it folds sideways instead of top to bottom?

LOL

I’ll stick with my Sub2000

quote:
Originally posted by amc:

I really wanted to love my sub 2k but no good way to mount an optic

I put a 1 inch riser, and Bushnell red dot scope and it’s perfect now. I lost the ability to fold, but I never really used that feature anyway but they do make a mount now that allows you to fold it with an optic.

Here’s the mount from M-CARBO…

https://www.mcarbo.com/kel-tec...000-optic-mount.aspx

0:01

Posts: 4206 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few M-CARBO bits on my Sub 2K and they are all well made. I bought the Midwest mount instead because The M-CARBO just swings away so when the gun is folded and lying flat the optic sits up on the hand guard making it thicker and more importantly more exposed to damage if carried in a soft case or just stored. The Midwest has a feature where the optic pivots on the top of the mount to tuck asway under the hand guard when it is all folded. It's kind of hard to describe, but if interested it can be seen in the links for both mounts. I just received the Midwest mount but have not installed it yet.

Posts: 549 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Picked one up last night ($600) at a large big box sports type store. The guy at the gun counter said he had just put it in the case (pistol style glass display case) 5 minutes earlier and I was the first customer to handle it.

After getting home with it I threw a Vortex Sparc optic on it as it doesn't come with any sights. I fumbled around with it a bit and realized I really hate the bolt release. Its way to small and flush with the frame. Very hard to manipulate. The cross bolt style safety is easy to manipulate and I was very happy they went that route compared to the M&P style thumb safety. The lever to fold it is very easy to use but the charging handle is very very stiff, even after lubing it, hopefully it just needs some break in time. The stock is a lot more comfortable than I expected.

Hit the range with it this morning, 200 trouble free rounds and I'm happy with it. All were FMJ, brands were Fiocchi, Auguila, and Remington. My next trip I'll bring a couple different types of hollow points including some +P+.

The first target below are the 1st 2 rounds fired, using my range bag as a rest at 15 yards without any type of bore sighting the optic. I just threw the optic on (was previously on an AR) and shot twice.

I did make some minor adjustments to the optic, moved the target out 20 yards and this is a 23rd mag offhand rapid fire.

Overall I'm happy. I think its a neat gun, nothing life changing but I like the design better than the Keltec or Ruger PCCs.

I already have around 20 fullsize M&P mags and two M&P 9mm pistols so that helps this make sense for me to have.

Oh and yes, I know, not real unless I post a pic so here it is:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4520 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Excellent range report, greatly appreciated.
I am awaiting the call from my LGS once their batch is delivered.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
My FPC arrived at my LGS today.

I hope to sight it in this weekend with a Sig Romeo red dot I’m pirating from an AR, and will shoot a Steel Challenge match with it in two weeks.

I really like the weight and balance of it. The included case and three magazines are nice as well.

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Range report on my S&W FPC:
In preparation for a Steel Challenge match in two weeks, I ran about 130 rounds through the FPC today. After doing a ‘redneck’ initial bore sighting job on the Sig Romeo red dot at home, the FPC hit on the plate, first shot. It took about 12 more shots to get the dot perfectly sighted in at about 12 yards.

The carbine ate up various rounds with no malfunctions. This included S&B 124 grain factory ammo, as well as my 147 grain reloads using BOTH small pistol and small rifle primers. Every round fired.

The best thing about the FPC is the storage for two magazines on the buttstock. If you load those mags fully with 147 grainers, the added weight absorbs a good bit of recoil … and it also makes the gun rear-heavy. Which helps keep the barrel slightly up. The added weight makes it easier to stay on target.

Didn’t take a timer with me. However, I am quicker with this FPC than I am with the KT Sub2K. This thing is a good value at $629.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Good to hear it shot well for you too. I'm surprised they haven't picked up more traction in the forum, they are a neat little carbine.

Posts: 4520 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought mine from gunbuyer (which is Florida gun exchange, a good shop) for $579 (plus FL sales tax) . It arrived yesterday. Have only finger banged the trigger a few times but overall first impressions are it’s a cool gun. The trigger is good. The release mechanism for the two magazines in the stock is cumbersome. I don’t care for the sliding mag adapters on the magazines. And yea they need a sell a Glock mag version.

I’ll try to get it out to the range in the next few weeks.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can the rail/forend be removed to expose the barrel or is it part of the hinge/latch connecting to the rear section?

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creeping_Death:
Can the rail/forend be removed to expose the barrel or is it part of the hinge/latch connecting to the rear section?

Solid question. While I can’t answer specifically right now (am away from the house), it does appear that the rail is removable judging by the Allen head screws that go down the side, top and bottom.
I expect aftermarket rails to be produced in the near future.

posted Hide Post
Just ordered one for the misses/home defense. Not interested in using a "braced" firearm for home defense in our current climate.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just did my first 200 rd break in using some Blazer aluminum. Real tack driver at 25 yards off a rest, but I figured as much. Had one FTE/Weak ejection, not sure what happened there. Did not do an initial cleaning, and want to run another 200 rds through it to see if I can induce from failures before I put it into home rotation. Wife is happy with it so far, had her running some mozambique drills and she was killing it.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Nice report JonDaddy82.

I've got about 800rds through mine, zero malfunctions.

Last range trip I ran about 100 rounds of various JHP's I had lying around. Remington, Fiocchi, Winchester and Federal. Ran a few federal 9BPLE +P+ and they did just fine.

posted Hide Post
Excellent! I think this thing will be a winner for a name brand gun at a fair price point if they hold together.

IDPA ESP SS

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Since we’re all updating …
I shot my first Steel Challenge match with the FPC last weekend. The gun was flawless. I am quicker with it than I was with the Sub2K.
The FPC needs about 3,000 rounds put through it to really get the trigger/sear nice and smooth.
Or, an Apex upgrade if they make one.

posted Hide Post
Did another 300 rounds today. This thing goes through ammo QUICK! The misses was having a blast clearing the plate rack, shooting star, etc on the steel bay. Charging handle/bolt was definitely getting a little sticky toward the end and we had one stovepipe on ejection. This is with CCI aluminum. Still very positive about this weapon, I guess I'll finally break it down and clean it.

IDPA ESP SS

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
You can purchase it with or without an optic?

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are only sold stripped, no sighting system of any kind.

IDPA ESP SS

posted Hide Post
Just did my first clean last night after about 500-600 rounds of Blazer aluminum. Wow she was dirty! Bit of a bitch to clean since you can't really give the fire controls a good scrub. I didn't push the pins out of the bolt to detail clean the firing pin channel or extractor, but I could see myself doing it in the future. Overall, it is a weapon of very few parts generally speaking. The bolt and carrier seems to have a nice NP3 style coating which was a big help.

Also installed an Inforce WML Gen2 (the smaller rifle light) and it works great. Tried the Streamlight TLR RM1 first, but just didn't like the button activation nearly as much or lack of strobe.

IDPA ESP SS