SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Robinson XCR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robinson XCR Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
I found a great deal on a Robinson XCR pistol. 12.5" 5.56. I watched all the typical youtube reviews and it seems like a solid rifle. Anyone have any experience with it? I m particularly interested in converting it between 5.56 and 7.62.

Posts: 4449 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The XCR is a favorite of mine.
I like the rifle but hate the company.
Long standing customer service deficiencies are the primary reason.
However, their rifles are attractive to me.
Sort of sad as the XCR could have been a major hit. Frown

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one in 7.62x51. I don't miss it at all. The single barrel retention bolt always seemed a bit wanting, IMO. I had a different CS experience, though. The mag catch on my rifle broke, and they promptly sent a new one, at no expense to me. So I am the reverse: I don't think the gun is anything special, but my experience with the company was pleasant enough.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I had one in 7.62x51. I don't miss it at all. The single barrel retention bolt always seemed a bit wanting, IMO. I had a different CS experience, though. The mag catch on my rifle broke, and they promptly sent a new one, at no expense to me. So I am the reverse: I don't think the gun is anything special, but my experience with the company was pleasant enough.

Did you actually have an issue with the bolt working loose? Seems like one of those thing where, if they’ve solved a problem adequately with a single bolt, why add another?

posted Hide Post
If my weapon experienced a functional problem, due to the barrel retention bolt, I certainly would have said so, in my first reply. I merely relayed an opinion. It's not the number of bolts either, it's the method. I wouldn't have preferred two set screws holding my barrel in, as opposed to one; I'd prefer something that was fundamentally different. Not because I KNOW of a flaw in their design; as you said, it is likely perfectly fine; I just wasn't crazy about it.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just remembered the ignore user function!

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
I just remembered the ignore user function!

Confused

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
New gun day X4. Picked these up today. The FDE gun is a Robinson armament XCR – M.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dwd1985, did you end up buying the XCR? Coincidentally, Garandthumb just made a video with one.

posted Hide Post
Own and early XCR and yes, I have had a problem with the single bolt holding the barrel working loose. Basically happens every 40-50 rounds.

In fairness, this gun probably has 2000+ rounds through it and the problem developed somewhere around round 1500.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fairness be damned. That's an awful low round count for a rifle that was in the SCAR trials to be having a problem like that.

Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
dwd1985, did you end up buying the XCR? Coincidentally, Garandthumb just made a video with one.

I did buy it. Haven’t shot it yet. It feels great. I’ve read about the barrel retention bolt loosening and based on the various stories I’ve read, it seems to boil down to barrels not being fully seated before the bolt is tightened, stripped threading in the receiver (which Robinson will fix) or the bolt not being tightened to spec. I’m not saying it isn’t possible for some other reasons for it to happen but almost every story I’ve read ends with “Tightened the bolt to proper spec and no further issues.”

posted Hide Post
I had wondered about bolt torque being the heart of the issue on them backing out.

I had an XCR and traded it. Great gun, I liked it a lot and it shot really well but I traded a ton of stuff back then that I would probably just hold onto now.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a very early XCR. SBR’d it at one point and it’s been back to RA for upgrades. Probably had mine since 2007 with approx 5k rounds give or take.

Anytime I take it to the range I remember how much I like it.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post