SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do I need a $75 Armorers wrench?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a $75 Armorers wrench? Login/Join 
Picture of Speedbird
posted
Hello, I will be assembling an AR shortly. I believe I need a wrench for the buffer tube castle nut. I'll be installing a flash hider also, that I think takes a standard 1/2" spanner...

An "Armorers Wrench" looks like the correct tool, but I am seeing a very diverse range of options from $30 E-bay with mostly mixed reviews to $75+ from Brownells.

I also found a $20 castle nut only wrench on Amazon that might do the trick. The one thing that makes me nervous, is when changing out the flash hider, if I loosen with a spanner, will I need to hold the barrel in place with a barrel wrench? (This my inclination for a "Armorers Wrench")

Not sure what is necessary, any guidance would be appreciated.

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
If you have a vise with rubber jaws or the magnetic and silicone stick on vise jaws you can grip the barrel with they and remove the flash hider and the proper wrench.

But having the right armorers wrench for the castle nut and barrel nut(if it’s a normal fore grip) is important

Also get the clamshell upper holder fixture for holding it in a vise when spinning in the barrel nut

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...007359056?pid=210021

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to munge it up a tool works best.

You'll need to hold the barrel for a muzzle device.
https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-ar15-bev-block

Wrench, same place
https://www.primaryarms.com/br...ar15-armorers-wrench

If the upper is already barreled then you won't need a clam shell block to hold the upper.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Actually you could probably borrow one from someone if you are only gonna make one rifle.

When I was in the service, the shop had two brownells rand armorer’s wrenchs..they had less stuff on them like the brownells wrenches of today.

I bought mine from brownells because I was also the armorer for my police department and helped a bunch of guys build their rifles (not for work)

Ask around anyone at the range you attend and see if you can make friends

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have found that using job specific tools makes it easier, and lessens the chance of damaging something. These are super handy, and this is a really good deal.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...007359056?pid=210021

I have one of the Magpul wrenches, and I really like it. You’re welcome to borrow it if you’d like. My email is in my profile.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
If all you are installing is a muzzle device.
A 3/4" wrench is normally the one you will need.
A couple pieces of 2x4 with a 5/8" hole bored across the grain works like a champ for a barrel block, provided you have a vice to hold it.

Brass punch for the castle nut works too, it just has to be snugged down a bit.
I stake them as well to make sure they stay put.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can do anything on an AR making do. But the one tool I don't think you can really work around is having a reaction rod when you need it. And the correct barrel nut tool. The rest is optional but nice. And nobody ever just builds one AR FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Not a bad price for what you get.
Good for barrel nuts and muzzle devices without damaging the upper or the indexing pin.
https://midwestindustriesinc.c...-upper-receiver-rod/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Not a bad price for what you get.
Good for barrel nuts and muzzle devices without damaging the upper or the indexing pin.
https://midwestindustriesinc.c...-upper-receiver-rod/

Better price: https://littlecreektrading.com...-upper-receiver-rod/

Vendor has been GTG in my limited experience with them.

This seems to be about the cheapest barrel nut wrench money can buy: https://littlecreektrading.com...e-barrel-nut-wrench/

Worked fine for me the couple of times I used it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Instant karma

OP if you want this one I’ll send it to you, it doesn’t have a spot for the castle nut though. It’s an extra one I have from a long time ago.

WRT the castle nut, we spun them on hand tight, tapped it with a punch ( in the notch) and staked them. Never had one come off. Most people just loctite them now.

Email is in my profile, put Sigforum in the subject line.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have built all my ARs with this wrench.
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...007367921?pid=773840

It is not very ergonomic nor is it the best one out there but for less than $30 it works great.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most people just loctite them now.

This is true, but don't do this.

I did it with one of mine and even snugged it down good with a castle nut wrench in addition to the loctite. A few months in a vertical rack in the back of a patrol car vibrated it loose and I pulled it out one day (thankfully on the range, not on a call), and the stock had come loose and swiveled about 30 degrees out of alignment. I fixed it and staked it properly...problem never returned. Stake your castle nuts.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of armme
posted Hide Post
Looks like MikeinNc is hooking you up, but if you are only going to use it occasionally, or once, get a $20 (or whatever they are now) one from a gun show. I may, or may not, have seen these work just fine repeatedly.

Posts: 257 | Location: NC | Registered: August 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Follow the advice of hrcjn by using a reaction rod. The reaction rod contacts the steel barrel and will transmit the force to loosen the flash hider.
Clamping the receiver in a vice will shear off the pin alighning it within the aluminum receiver.
You need to know what was used to mount the flash hider to the barrel- pinned?, locktite or Rocksett.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Clamping the receiver in a vice will shear off the pin alighning it within the aluminum receiver.

Have you ever seen this happen? I sure haven’t. I’ve seen receivers in a vice, not with a “factory” made action block but rather home made wood “action blocks” (which were really just pieces of wood to keep the metal from getting scratched) twist the receiver and ruin it, but never seen an issue with the pin or where it interacts with the receiver.

I’ve twisted pinned comps off I just am action vice, bad idea or not. lol

For the op, you can get a castle nut wrench online for $8-$13. I say that because I recently bought one for 13 bucks, and then a few days later saw it for sale elsewhere for eight dollars and change. And then found my missing one, and two others I forgot I had. Of course. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I believe I have a plan now.

@MikeinNC: You are very kind, thank you! email inbound.

Posts: 498 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
The cheap one from Midway looks good.

It sounds like you've gotten it taken care of, but I wanted to drop a word of warning about the cheap no name ones. They may be decent, or they may not. I cheaped out on mine, and the lugs on the castle nut tool sheared off the second time I used it. I wasn't really torqueing it hard either, the metal the tool was made of was just crap.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speedbird - If you are assembling the AR lower yourself please watch a couple of youtube videos because you will see that a gallon ziplok bag will be your best friend when you go to insert a couple of those small springs. Ask me how I know.

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Speedbird, it went into the mail today..should be there in a week give or take.

USPS https://tools.usps.com/go/Trac...041972%2C&tABt=false

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP it shows delivered yesterday…is there anyone there to collect it for you? I hope you got it.