SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Stretching My HW97K Laminated's Legs A Bit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stretching My HW97K Laminated's Legs A Bit Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I actually got to the range today and ran a bunch of .22LR our of my CZ 452fs but I also got to stretch out one of my air rifles and I was pretty happy with the results for me.

So I rarely get a chance to get the air guns out past 20 yards and frankly much past 35-40 my skill level starts to drop off like a barrel down Niagra Falls with most non PCP air guns. Today, however, I took a me day and went out to the range and stretched out my 97K and didn't do too badly. Now like any good fish story one must have at least a couple of excuses for the one that got away so here are mine. Big Grin

-The sun was directly in front of me starting out. That was PITA
-A had a dude, nice guy, right next to me shooting a short barreled .450 Bushmaster with God's own muzzle brake. That was a weee bit distracting. Big Grin

So there are my excuses. The wind was fairly calm with the occasional left to right gust but nothing too difficult and the weather was PERFECT.

Range was approximately 55 yards

So on to the shooting. Range was somewhere between 50-60 yards. I am calling it 55 yards.
Ironically my first shots of the day, with the sun in my eyes ended up being my best group.

Next group I opened up. This is all me.

I am getting back in control

I finish fairly strong (for me)

All in all great fun and I ran a bunch of .22lr today as well. Its rare I get to spend a couple hours at the range without being rushed so today was very nice.

As always, take care and shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The reason for the low groups is I didn’t want to dork with my zero and my scope is a simple cross hair with no range estimating/mil dots etc. so I was dropping them a little low.

Posts: 7673 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very nice targets!

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
That's really good shooting with a springer.

I don't think I could beat that with my CZ452.

Guys around here make everything look so easy...

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a darn good group with a beautiful rifle....nicely done! It also looks like some pretty decent weather and a great day to be out shooting, whether the propellant be air or powder. Kinda funny to picture you with the airgun shooting next to the guy with the muzzle-braked .450, though...opposite ends of the spectrum Big Grin!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Well done ( as always ) Chris.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I'm still more than impressed with those 55 yard targets and .177 cal pellets.

What kind of block is that under the forearm, hard material or softer foam? You obviously didn't suffer from vertical stringing.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s a foam block type rest. It has enough give to it to let the spring guns move a bit but is rigid enough to be a decent rest that weighs next to nothing. I’ve used it for the airguns, .22s, and .223s. I don’t remember if I have used it for any major calibers (.308/30-06/8mm etc etc.) but it works fine for at least anything up to .223.

I don’t remember if this is the exact one but similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Foamres...1ABQT9E%2CB08ZMYP9DP

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Ok, that’s some impress riflery. Well done, sir.

I need to do something like that soon - Just take my time and land the best shots I can.

Posts: 17107 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Appreciate it. I should be so good with all my guns. Frown

Honestly I shoot my air rifles so often at around 20 yards and I strive for 10 under a dime irons or scoped so I am more intimately familiar with them, their triggers and holds them I am most of the real guns. Being able to grab them on a whim any time and bust out 10 shots here or there seems to pay off as my skill much past 35-40 yards with a spring gun usually isn’t that great but I have gotten lucky on my last couple “long range” outings. I also tend to pay far more attention to my “ammo” quality and types vs my firearms for some reason. Case in point……the CZ452 I brought out that day wasn’t nearly as precise. Now I was using iron sights which of course matters but it’s largely due to me using Federal 550 bulk pack. Old bulk pack. Smile. I did use a little Federal Gold medal and tightened things up considerably but most of the time I am shooting my firearms I am just shooting plinking fodder unless I specifically go to shoot for precision. Conversely I am always striving for precision with the airguns.

So basically with an AR15 with an Aimpoint I am good with MOA shooting (minute of asshole) Smile. With my air rifles at 20 yards I get miffed when I push 1 out of 10 outside of a dime. It’s a weird dichotomy I know. Smile