SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brownells now has a 25rd AR mag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brownells now has a 25rd AR mag Login/Join 
posted
https://www.brownells.com/gun-...body-steel-magazine/

Is there a market for this? Are there states with a 26 rd limit?

Posts: 15934 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
According to the description they are to replicate the first magazines made for the rifles and therefore for the people who want the true repro builds.

My first exposure to M16 magazines was a long time ago in a land far away, and at the time I never saw, or even knew existed, anything other than the (nominal) 20-round version.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47465 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Interesting.
According to the description they are to replicate the first magazines made for the rifles and therefore for the people who want the true repro builds.
Yes

The very first pre-production AR-15 prototype, serial number XAR1501

Posts: 108087 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way I understand it, the curved mags are much more reliable. Some older GI mags were straight to enable more convenient fitment into ammo boxes. I have heard it said that the magazines were at one point intended to be disposable, and were issued loaded, akin to M1 clips. I have a straight 20rd and a curved 20rd; the straight one will give me problems.

I wonder if the mag in Para's picture was designed per Army requirements, or if Stoner's original design was indeed straight. He favored constant-curve later, with the design of Stoner63 mags.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
$57 seems a little steep. I’ll pass.

Posts: 6228 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
$57 seems a little steep. I’ll pass.

I agree, but for Memorial Day you can get 15% off:

Enjoy 15% off sitewide with code MDAY15.

Thanks to Sigfreund for posting the Brownells description, I never thought to find my answer there.

Posts: 15934 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I like my 20s for the flush with the grip height.
Be interested to see these in a rifle, to see how they fall re the grip.
And for the price, I'll grab 3 magpul 20s or a Lancer

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15516 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Is there a market for this?

I'm guessing it's almost entirely aimed at the clone build guys. The AR has gone through so many permutations and variations over the years, and some of these various bits and bobs, you just can't find to complete your recreation of whatever picture you found somewhere that really tickles your fancy. Thus, we have things like this now.

Posts: 17334 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Must be for the folks who don't want to load a full 30 for reliability. Smile

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17392 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Malysh
posted Hide Post
Here's one of the Brownell's 25 rd. magazines in my Colt XM-177E2 SBR.

Although not correct for this model carbine, I like the looks of it.

Posts: 424 | Location: PA | Registered: November 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These mags are 100% for the retro cloner market.

quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
The way I understand it, the curved mags are much more reliable. Some older GI mags were straight to enable more convenient fitment into ammo boxes. I have heard it said that the magazines were at one point intended to be disposable, and were issued loaded, akin to M1 clips. I have a straight 20rd and a curved 20rd; the straight one will give me problems.

I wonder if the mag in Para's picture was designed per Army requirements, or if Stoner's original design was indeed straight. He favored constant-curve later, with the design of Stoner63 mags.

That AR15 design predates any Army requirements.

The curved mags were a later development after the AR15 was adopted and type classified as the M16 in order to give additional capacity over the 20 round mags. Straight 20s are very reliable.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2343 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Straight 20s are very reliable
I need to get a couple more to try then. The one I have isn't super reliable.

Posts: 2294 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have never had a 25, but love my straight 20’s for the range.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
The one I have isn't super reliable.

Modern manufacture, or old vintage Colt? I have probably a dozen 60's and 70's production Colt 20's and I can't recall ever having a feed issue with them. Mostly use them from the bench or taking pictures for giggles, but still.

Posts: 17334 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
The one I have isn't super reliable.

Modern manufacture, or old vintage Colt? I have probably a dozen 60's and 70's production Colt 20's and I can't recall ever having a feed issue with them. Mostly use them from the bench or taking pictures for giggles, but still.

Same.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2343 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure it's old Colt. It's got the different feed lips. Last time I had trouble with it, it was fully-loaded with 73gr FTX Critical Defense. It had two or three problems early in that mag; when it's under-loaded, it does fine.

Research indicates it's a proper old Colt mag. Alloy follower and "UI" marking on front edge. Apparently Universal Industries was a sub-contractor for Colt. Colt markings on the floor plate.