SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Experience with Sig Romeo 7S?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experience with Sig Romeo 7S? Login/Join 
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted
I've been looking for a good red dot sight for an AR15 and had narrowed it down to a couple of choices but I noticed that Palmetto State Armory has the Sig Sauer Romeo 7S Compact green dot sight on sale for $99.99 for their 4th of July sale. Does anyone have any experience with this model? And what are thoughts on green dot versus red. I don't have any astigmatism issues. Thanks for any input and happy Independence Day!

Link to sale:

Sig Romeo 7S Compact Green Dot

A good video review from gundeals on YouTube:

Video Review

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2093 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
No experience with this one but I have a few of the Romeo 5 and they work fine. As long as you don’t have expectations of it being an Aimpoint I am sure it will serve you well. For $99, not much to lose.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks, SigLaw. They actually had the red dot version on sale, too (found it later), and I've found a couple more reviews so I'm probably going to study it a little more and decide later in the year. I may even stop at the PSA store in Greenville on the way by sometimes. I like the thought of the triple A battery versus the CR2032 but am not sure of the size and form factor in comparison to the Romeo5 52101 (which also uses the AAA).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2093 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
Thanks, SigLaw. They actually had the red dot version on sale, too (found it later), and I've found a couple more reviews so I'm probably going to study it a little more and decide later in the year. I may even stop at the PSA store in Greenville on the way by sometimes. I like the thought of the triple A battery versus the CR2032 but am not sure of the size and form factor in comparison to the Romeo5 52101 (which also uses the AAA).

Why do you like the AAA better than the 2032? They're both as common as dirt these days as a bunch of car fobs use the 2032. Plus they're easier to stash in small places and the battery life of a 2032 in a Romeo 5s is phenomenal so it's not like that's an issue.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Flash-LB, you're correct, I'm probably overthinking this but I always have double and triple As at home, but never have the CR2032s.

Those are a lot more common than they used to be but our local grocery store stocks one brand (Energizer), they're $9.99 for a two pack (if not on sale), and they're out sometimes (though they do carry a 4 pack and a 6 pack that are more economical). There are four brands of triple As in multiple sizes each and they're never out. I know once I make a final decision on the optic and the corresponding battery type, I'll buy a spare battery and with the lifespan, it shouldn't be an issue.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Wow, 10 bucks for a 2 pack.

Amazon has Duracells for $6.00/4 pack and free shipping if you've got Prime.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Yes, Amazon has a much, much better deal on them. I looked them up, too, but forgot to mention that in my post above. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I've got a Romeo 7 (Red) on my Snakebite SE. I love it. Had it for about a year, but haven't had to replace the battery yet. Without magnification, 200+ yards is pushing the envelope for me. Even so, my instructor was very pleased with what I shot at 200. I suppose if I were using it to hunt, I would want something with magnification. Incidentally, my instructor indicated at the time that many of his associates had very positive reports regarding their 7's.

NRA Member

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Posts: 72 | Location: Tulsa County, Oklahoma | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
EuroOptic had an 5 reviews that were very favorable, but everyone seemed to agree that it was rather heavy and the mount is ships with is trash, so you might budget the sight + a better mount.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got in on that deal and I got two of them, one was delivered today (8th of July). This is my first green dot. And second SIG optic. My other is the MSR red dot.

I have a very slight astigmatism and at least with this SIG Romeo 7S the green dot is more focused and rounded then the SIG MSR and Holson, BSA red dots.

I had a QD mount, so I replaced the factory mount with that before I even mounted it.

I mounted it to the rifle, and it lined up with the iron sights and when it put the bore sight in the barrel, the green dot lined up perfectly with the dot and irons!

I'm hoping to get out in the next few days to check zero. Which I have decided to zero at 100 yards like the iron sights.

So far, I'm liking the SIG Romeo 7S green dot. It's fairly compact and at 7.7oz I don't think it's to heavy or large.

ARman.

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional info, everyone.

Dan, checked out the reviews at Euro Optic. The ones I found were for the 7 instead of the more compact 7s, but I’ve done a lot of reading and watching videos on the 7 over the weekend, too. The 7s is about a third lighter and doesn’t seem to have the same mount issues as the 7, though it’s 22mm versus 30 for the 7 (which makes sense with respect to weight).

ARman, please give a report once you take it to the range. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Why do you like the AAA better than the 2032? They're both as common as dirt these days as a bunch of car fobs use the 2032. Plus they're easier to stash in small places and the battery life of a 2032 in a Romeo 5s is phenomenal so it's not like that's an issue.

I prefer my optics to take 2032 instead of AAA. I've had many, many AAA batteries leak in my various electronics and flashlights. I just bought a huge pack of Eveready AAA from Sam's and one was leaking in the package! I don't trust them.

rambo

Posts: 243 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:
I prefer my optics to take 2032 instead of AAA. I've had many, many AAA batteries leak in my various electronics and flashlights. I just bought a huge pack of Eveready AAA from Sam's and one was leaking in the package! I don't trust them.

rambo

We used to use Duracell occasionally (usually whatever was on sale) until I noticed they leaked in everything I used them in … ruined several remotes and a couple computer mice … now we use Energizers exclusively for anything that takes a 2 or 3 A battery AND we buy them in bulk packages on Amazon for about 1/3 what they cost in stores. I’d feel bad about not keeping my spending local, but Walmart, Target, Best Buy don’t keep my money local either, plus you don’t know how long they’ve been sitting in the warehouse, then on the shelf … Duracell has 10 year(?) expiration dates … I should check my C & D cell batteries in my flashlights as I don’t remember the last time I changed them.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rambo:

rambo

That's a very good point and it's why I prefer them also.

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I've done rifles with about five of the Sig Romeo 7's. All of them have held zero and have done very well. (I think I have been using some of them over five years?)
I found every single one of them on sale and also saw a sale in the last week for less than $140.

All are black except for the one below, and I kinda like the variation.

I do agree with you about the poor quality of any AA brand these days. I generally never leave any Duracell battery in anything longer than 6 months-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post