SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Have you seen this side-by-side dual bolt action rifle magazine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you seen this side-by-side dual bolt action rifle magazine? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
The photo is from a military sniper competition video. None of my Internet searches have turned up what this (apparently) dual magazine is. Is it something you’re familiar with?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Is that like the tandem AR mags? Or is it load on the right, feed on the left?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It has what looks like electrical tape around the bottom 1/3rd?

It may be as simple as two AICS magazines taped together, likely with a spacer block in between to provide proper clearance from the sides of the chassis.

Fire from the left magazine until empty (with the spare mag hanging out to the right), then swap over to the right magazine (with the empty magazine hanging out to the left).

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Yep, two magazines taped together.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As I looked at the shiny bottom, tape finally occurred to me, so I believe you’re right.
There’s a video of a shooter in Norway who got a 3D printed base from someone in Sweden(?) that would take two magazines for the same principle. I could see how it might be of use in certain competitions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47363 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Was on my phone when I posted last night & had a small photo to look at. Didn't notice the tape at the bottom.

Posts: 15143 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I should have done this in the first place: lightened the original photo. The tape is more apparent.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now that I’ve raised the subject, any suggestions on achieving something similar (without the obvious of taping mags together)?

And why hasn’t some enterprising guy with a 3D printer done something similar for the common precision rifle magazines in use here?

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if someone managed to make a few bucks by turning out something like that for the common CZ 527. In its own way, that looks like varminter heaven.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Apart from timed competition or 'because I can', does this really have much utility next to having a spare mag near enough to not need to break contact with the rifle?

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The rifle in that photo appears to be an M2010. AFAIK that only make a five round magazine so if there is a course of fire where youneed more rounds this would be a good way to make it happen.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Apart from timed competition or 'because I can', does this really have much utility next to having a spare mag near enough to not need to break contact with the rifle?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
The rifle in that photo appears to be an M2010. AFAIK that only make a five round magazine so if there is a course of fire where you need more rounds this would be a good way to make it happen.
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

If it is an M2010, then the standard magazine has 5 round capacity. In long distance matches where the competitors are using AICS magnum magazines, I have definitely seen cursing towards the 5-round magazines when the course of fire was 6 rounds or more. However, AICS does make 10-round magnum magazines and I've seen a few in use.

I suspect the M2010 uses AICS pattern mags, but I don't know. I don't know if the shooter in the above pictured situation has the larger capacity mags. Or maybe the additional length of the 10-round mags is an issue with the course of fire. The better shooters adapt to meet the needs of the situation. Sometimes duct tape & bailing wire work.

Posts: 7850 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

However, AICS does make 10-round magnum magazines and I've seen a few in use.

Bought a 10rd 300WM AICS mag to use in a straight 284 several years ago sight unseen. Returned it, silly tall! The 5rd version worked great, could stuff 6 284 rounds in it. One of the matches I was shooting at the time had 8rd stages. Got fast with this simple solution. Still use these today. https://www.shortactionprecisi...sap-two-round-holder

https://www.milehighshooting.c...00-win-mag-10-round/

Better options today, just gotta buy the rifle to go with it!

https://www.milehighshooting.c...tack-black-10-round/

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The 3D printed magazine coupler I mentioned above (English as second language, I believe).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPNjSOdGd6k

6.4/93.6

— Plato

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I am guessing, being the 700 action, most variants used different bottom metal for what is known as DBM or detachable box magazine, up to .300 Win. Mag and even .300 RUM. I helped manufacture the early flush fit box mags for the .700 DBM. There are many after market makers of magazines and bottom metal for the .700. I believe also for the M24 and 2010. Depending on the cartridge one chooses, you can find all manner of mags and bottom metal by searching .700 DBM magazines.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post