SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optics schmoptics. 1-6 decision and frustration.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics schmoptics. 1-6 decision and frustration. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
What I want:

LPVO 1-6, below a pound, BDC illuminated crosshair reticle. Capped turrets.

Leupold VX-6 HD Everything except capped turrets( that I can find) everything I can find has exposed turrets.

Vortex Razor. Everything except too heavy.
Razor E lighter, but still heavy. $400 more than heavy razor.

Vortex Viper PST II. Still a bit heavy, no BDC.

These are the ones I know. This is also my max price points.

Any other suggestions? US Optics?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
This is like looking for a 10 hot / 1 crazy.

Under a pound is really tough, not much at that weight, but I will watch and see what comes along.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There sure seems to be a lot of compromise in the LPVO segment. The capped turrets would be the part I would let go if the weight and other features were musts.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
VX6 Multigun

I like my VX6 multigun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: onpointgun,

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Vx6 hd is it. It’s just the turret is now Only available with the CD SL2 turret. Not capped.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Vx6 hd is it. It’s just the turret is now Only available with the CD SL2 turret. Not capped.

I searched the one out pictured for that very reason. I watched ebay and gun broker for 3 months.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner T5Xi is 19.7 ounces

I have one, great optic. Razor is better, but if weight is a big deal, go Steiner.

5x vs 6x, I cant even tell a difference frankly.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They used to make a Multigun w/ capped turrets.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...-6-1-6x24mm-multigun

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I've tried to like Leupold in this scope class, but it's apparent they want people to buy their MK6 1-6x scope so they make these compromise VX6 models with wonkey features and VX-R Patrols with 1.25 low ends instead of 1x.

I like the PST Gen 2 quite a lot. I'm sure it's not as lightweight feeling as a 16oz scope, but it's only 21 oz and the reticle / illum / glass is great for the $600 price point.

I may upgrade to a Razor HD-E and move the PST to a training rifle, but its so hard to not like the PST Gen 2.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Leupold will (or used to, anyway) change the type adjustment controls on their scopes. I’ve had that done in the other direction. It might be worth a query. It’s not free, of course, but if it’s important enough to you and there are no other good options ….

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Kahles K16i is 16.9 oz, but likely blows your budget.

I love mine. Great illum and clarity

Check the Athalon Cronus. 18.8 oz, but not capped turrets.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I've tried to like Leupold in this scope class, but it's apparent they want people to buy their MK6 1-6x scope so they make these compromise VX6 models with wonkey features and VX-R Patrols with 1.25 low ends instead of 1x.

I like the PST Gen 2 quite a lot. I'm sure it's not as lightweight feeling as a 16oz scope, but it's only 21 oz and the reticle / illum / glass is great for the $600 price point.

I may upgrade to a Razor HD-E and move the PST to a training rifle, but its so hard to not like the PST Gen 2.

Yeah. Ok so if I get the BDC and zero at 200, it for the turret to work properly, you would zero at 100. Doesn’t make sense to have both. May just get a Vortex an be done with it. I don’t mind turning dials on a bench gun but for out and about I would use the BDC.

TCB all the time...

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Leupold will (or used to, anyway) change the type adjustment controls on their scopes. I’ve had that done in the other direction. It might be worth a query. It’s not free, of course, but if it’s important enough to you and there are no other good options ….

Up until about 6 months ago, the capped turret was an option on the VX6 on the website. CAnt find it on the customize page any more.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
The primary functions of the scope should rule the purchase decision -- magnification, optics clarity, reticle, adjustments (turrets), ability to hold zero.

Plus or minus a few ounces of weight shouldn't matter much in the overall scheme of a rifle. This assumes you're not humping the rifle for hours a day, for days on end, up and down steep hills, with lots of gear on your back, in difficult weather. This ain't you. A handful of extra ounces should not make or break what may be the best scope on your list.

We all have budgets, but let's be honest -- you've bought/built a lot of guns in the past and you won't magically stop buying any down the road. So what if you spend a few extra (or a few less) dollars on this scope. Get the one the works for your needs and move on.

Get the right scope, not a compromise.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The primary functions of the scope should rule the purchase decision -- magnification, optics clarity, reticle, adjustments (turrets), ability to hold zero.

Plus or minus a few ounces of weight shouldn't matter much in the overall scheme of a rifle. This assumes you're not humping the rifle for hours a day, for days on end, up and down steep hills, with lots of gear on your back, in difficult weather. This ain't you. A handful of extra ounces should not make or break what may be the best scope on your list.

We all have budgets, but let's be honest -- you've bought/built a lot of guns in the past and you won't magically stop buying any down the road. So what if you spend a few extra (or a few less) dollars on this scope. Get the one the works for your needs and move on.

Get the right scope, not a compromise.

Amen.

Another vote for the kahles k16i. It is the king of the hill in th 1-6 category.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2323 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Kahles K16i is 16.9 oz, but likely blows your budget.

I love mine. Great illum and clarity

+1. It is stunning how good this scope is. Beyond the above, the eye box has to be experienced to be believed....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have looked through the Kahles. It is exceptional. I don’t think it is enough better than the Razor to justify the cost. Unless weight is a BIG factor.

I have looked through most of the 1-6 optics discussed in this thread. I vote Razor, but I think you would be satisfied with the 1-5 Steiner at a lower price point and lower weight.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah I’m not humping a rifle around for a living or anything it’s basically for fun. I just have a cervicsl and thoracic issue that can show at any time. Weight Is always a factor unless I’m on the Bench. I mean if WW 4 ever broke out I think I could make it work though.

The VX5 would also be a decent choice if they had a better reticle selection.

TCB all the time...

Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms 1-6X24mm FFP Rifle Scope, weight is 17.6 oz with capped turrets. https://www.primaryarms.com/pa...or-556-reticle-black

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I have looked through the Kahles. It is exceptional. I don’t think it is enough better than the Razor to justify the cost. Unless weight is a BIG factor.

I have looked through most of the 1-6 optics discussed in this thread. I vote Razor, but I think you would be satisfied with the 1-5 Steiner at a lower price point and lower weight.

Dang IB, what’s the eye relief on the vortex? That’s almost a scout mount. Do you get up on it prone? Is it that forgiving?

TCB all the time...