SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any shooting ranges in Dallas area permitting use of full metal jacket and/or steel bullets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any shooting ranges in Dallas area permitting use of full metal jacket and/or steel bullets? Login/Join 
Picture of EasyFire
posted
Title kind of says it all.

My brother in Dallas Texas has purchased an AR and I sent him ammo. Unfortunately I sent both steel and full metal jacket ammo. He has advised that most ranges prohibit the use of either.

An outdoor range is preferable.

Any referrals is greatly appreciated.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
A range that does not allow FMJ?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
A range that does not allow FMJ?

Many ranges up here either restrict it to rounds purchased through them, use a magnet to verify non-steel rounds, or specify frangible ammo only.

I think it really depends on what traps or baffles they use.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most outdoor ranges shouldn’t have any issue with regular FMJ bullets. Even so with indoor ranges that allow rifles ( though it seems a waste to me to shoot rifle calibers at such short range)
Some outdoor ranges in areas with a high risk of wild fires ( like Arizona where I live) prohibit steel core bullets like M855 type ammo.
Many commercial ranges won’t allow steel case ammo as they pick up and salvage empty cases and don’t want to pick through the empties to separate steel from brass.

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one that comes to mind and is not private/membership is Elm Fork. https://elmfork.com/rifle-pistol-sports/

According to the site fmj is prohibited on the 100yd range, but not the 50yd or tactical bay which I think is up to 25yd. Always good to call and confirm though.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 6 months ago I took my son to Shoot Point Blank Indoor Range in Arlington and I shot fmj in my CAR15. No issues or restrictions however limited to 25yds.

Posts: 86 | Location: Tx | Registered: July 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both Riflegear and Frisco Gun Club allow FMJ but not steel core. Comically, one of the range officers checked my preloaded mags with a magnet after I told him I had FMJ. The magnet stuck and we both did a double-take until I remembered my Lancer polymer mags had steel feed lips. Big Grin

Posts: 36 | Registered: August 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of cheap imported ammo has steel jacketed bullets with a thin copper or brass plating. I refuse to use these in any gun I care about. Steel jacket in steel barrel is not good IMO. But they are ok in an AK with a chrome bore since that's what they were designed for.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I'll second Elm Fork, I like their setup.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I will pass this on...

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post