SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin tinkering?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin tinkering? Login/Join 
posted
Impulse buy of a marlin 336, 30/30, marked JM dated 2005.
Pretty clean.
Thinking of adding XS sights front and rear, and cutting it back to 16'', some action work as needed.

Bad idea value wise?
Might be a separate topic, but I think those of us that value these older classics/guns, might be in short supply and it might be just another lever gun to these youngsters?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Probably won't help the value any, but it's a 2005 gun (presumably with the safety?)...I don't think it's gonna have collector status any time soon like the older guns do. They made a TON of 336s. Then again these days people are spending stupid money on all things Marlin, so you never know.

My vote is, it's your gun, set it up how you want and enjoy it. It hurts a little to think about cutting up one of my Marlins, but what you're proposing actually sounds pretty conservative and practical. I like it!

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Marlin 336 Compact.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I inherited a 336 in .35 Remington last year. Has to be from mid to late 60’s to early 70’s. Dad engraved his social security number on it as he did with everything including his tools. I love it but it’s near impossible to find ammo for it these days. I inherited a couple boxes of Super X ammo with it but that’s all I have for it. It has me itching for a Marlin Guide in stainless with .45-70 as the caliber.

A friend inherited his father’s .30-30 which is a 336 but made for Western Auto for or similar. Lever got stuck but was an easy fix which apparently happens sometimes.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post