SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any truly good reason to use something other than an AR, for a primary carbine?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any truly good reason to use something other than an AR, for a primary carbine? Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not once have I seen the real value of the folding stock. It has come in handy for transportation, but it has never even remotely struck me as something truly worthwhile.

I got sucked into that with a Law Tactical folder.
Folded, it wouldn't fit in the soft case I have and I never stowed it folded in the safe.
The only time it was useful for transport was when I had it on a 9mm AR with an 8" barrel.
It fit in my range bag folded and was handy for that. It gave a bit more LOP for a brace too.
It now just sits in a drawer with a bunch of other crap I thought was cool.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our goals clearly differ. I frequently add the mpx or mcx into my edc setups. For me, the ability to fold is worth it. I do not use my AR in this role and therefore it sees less use in general.

One thing I will add for consideration is that I clearly place a heavy emphasis on discretion. I developed this over years of living in apartment complexes and carried the philosophy through after buying my home. My neighbors don't know I have guns or when they come and go unless I choose to divulge this. The same rule applies to co-workers. And I believe this principle of discretion is advantageous during times of civil unrest and/or government overreach/ martial law. For the scenarios I prepare for and want a carbine, the AR falls short given its oal.

If your intended usage is different or you like the law folder, I personally believe the AR is the best option. I see the difference in the 2 systems being akin to the difference between a 2011 and say a glock 48.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gah. I am really bad about repeatedly forgetting a lot of people live in drastically different scenarios than I do. I understand what you're saying, now that you paint a more detailed picture of your use-case. It seems the ultimate disqualifier for silencers affects the AR in some cases as well: OAL. I assume you don't want to leave a dedicated EDC carbine in your vehicle, for fear of theft? Range trips are an obvious exception, but an EDC carbine can be left secured/concealed in a vehicle, to relieve you of the every day in/out. But, if your situation is different than mine, which it is, that may not be an option.

Posts: 2135 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries and I completely understand, in fact would recommend the AR for general usage to anyone. You are correct in that my reservation in dedicating a carbine to the vehicle is concern of theft.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned several non-AR military rifles before I ever got an AR15. I liked them all but I don't own them anymore. The AR15 is just so flexible in configuration, extremely reliable and accurate. Spare parts of extreme quality, magazines and optic choices make it hard to replace IMO.

Posts: 51 | Registered: August 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
I can see an argument for a bullpup (Tavor X95, for example), to retain 16" barrel external/terminal ballistics for the 5.56, yet still remaining "short" suppressed, for maneuverability.

Maneuverability is one thing but the blowback into every crevice in the rear of tavor et al. not so much fun when shooting suppressed.

I prefer my SBR 11.5 with HALO and much less blow back than tavor

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a "love affair" with the AR, I was indoctrinated at the age of 18. Issued and taught to use the rifle, then the XM177, I saw the ease of hit probability and the maneuverability of the shorter platform in urban environments. Out of the camouflage and into another uniform, we weren't allowed to carry AR's at first. 9/11 changed all that.
I have a 16" rifle I use to hunt with in 300 BLK with or without the suppressor. I also have two pistols in 5.56, one is a 7.5 which mainly is used with a 22lr conversion and the other is a 10.5 that I use as a truck gun and for work.
One only? It would be the 10.5, hands down. If I am allowed 2, it would be both pistols, the 22lr suppressed for "quiet" stuff.

The beauty is, for now, you can choose what you want.

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd agree that generally speaking the AR-15 is king even though I don't really like them that much. I'd throw a straight stocked rifle (I.E. Mini-14) into the mix for the simple purpose of "not looking scary". Being more of a gray man in a SHTF scenario is always a good thing.

I even think a Henry Long Ranger Express with a pocket full of .223 mags would be a very sneaky tool.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watching the News-
Location.

Not a lot of 5.56/.223 or .308/7.62x51 over there.

Here? North America?
AR all day.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrett M107A1 with the 20" barrel?

Seriously, SIG MCX .300 Blackout, 11.5" barrel. Suburban environment.

Excellent discussion. With discretion being the better part of valor in these circumstances, the risk is likely to exceed the reward of longer range engagements.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
Barrett M107A1 with the 20" barrel?

Seriously, SIG MCX .300 Blackout, 11.5" barrel. Suburban environment.

Excellent discussion. With discretion being the better part of valor in these circumstances, the risk is likely to exceed the reward of longer range engagements.

Don't think you can even see much beyond a couple of hundred yards in a lot of urban environments.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post