SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which AR for the Money...under $1500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR for the Money...under $1500 Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'll ride for the PNW with Rainier Arms, Aero Precision and Mega/Zev. They are great in my experience.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

I’d avoid S&W ARs.

Do you have any information to share, or were you just stating a personal preference?

I had one for a while and treated it like garbage. Would have been about the time the came out. I had zero issues. It was a 16 inch FSB gun.

The guns I have been issued since are a Noveske MK18, HK416, and a PWS 14.5 gun. They have all had their charms. I tend to take the crappier stuff we have in inventory these days and let the fellas have the good stuff.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37156 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would spend a few $ more and get a POF.
Mine has 5K+ rounds through it and runs flawless.
Piston all the way!!!!

Posts: 386 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
Piston all the way!!!!
One of the great advantages of the AR-15 is the availability and near universality of parts. DI makes more sense.

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

I’d avoid S&W ARs.

Do you have any information to share, or were you just stating a personal preference?

They are bottom barrel carbines with 4140 barrels. A friend who runs an outdoor range has seen multiples with function issues related to spotty factory QC. These are current guns. A local shop sells a ton and they are a common sight at the range.

Ten years ago they were a good value oriented factory produced rifle. At present, PSA owns that space and can be had for less money with a better barrel.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2356 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
I would spend a few $ more and get a POF.
Mine has 5K+ rounds through it and runs flawless.
Piston all the way!!!!

5k rounds is nothing.

Piston is generally silly in an AR and I say that owning a HK mr223a3 11” SBR and a 416D SF 10.4” SBR. Piston ARs are heavier than traditional inline gas, they have proprietary parts, and with very few exceptions they do nothing better than a quality traditional AR.

If you just have to have a piston, the mcx offers the option of a folding stock. The lmt mrp piston is novel and allows you to easily swap to an inline gas barrel.

Proprietary parts are a real concern as it relates to stocking spares. While I am hopeful that WA State’s absurd ban (that includes essentially all gun parts) will be nullified in court, the reality is that we live in a post-Constitutional USA where rule of law is a suggestion. With worst case scenarios in mind like a federal level ban similar to WA State, it is important to stock up on spare barrels, bolt groups, upper receivers, etc.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2356 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
SOLGW, Sionics, DD, KAC, LMT also have good reps, but I don't own any, so I can't really comment on them.

They had a piston gun as early as 2007 (I held it in my hands at the Infantry Conference) but I never saw them sell it to civilians.

Scionics rifles are top notch for sure - we've migrated all of our patrol and SWAT AR's over to them. They are definite shooters.

As for the Colt piston AR, they did roll out about 1200 or so of the 6940P(p for piston) rifles but then killed those off as well. A small flood of them being trade in DOE guns recently hit the market as well and are now being flipped for profit to collectors.

Good to hear that you are happy with your Scionics. they put alot of effort into quality.

Posts: 4750 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1500 budget no prob. 300-400 aero, bcm or FN factory lower with stock ready to go. trigger will be servciable and mil spec. $500-1000 colt, bcm or aero upper. I’ve seen take off 6920 uppers for $500. Spend the rest on a dozen mags and ammo and down the road put a better trigger in. learn to shoot that rifle with irons lastly get a weapon mounted light.

Or really hunt your used racks at local shops. Scored an early 2000’s pencil barrel 6520 colt 1/7 barrel 5.56 fixed carry. For $800 the other day. Has the restricted use roll mark from the AW ban. I’ve seen the lowers from that era go for that

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Aimsurplus had police trade in Colts for $629. Mine showed up immaculate. Here it is just out of the box, nothing added.

ariana gif

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1956 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Accomplice:
Aimsurplus had police trade in Colts for $629. Mine showed up immaculate. Here it is just out of the box, nothing added.

ariana gif

Curious if yours is a CR or LE prefix? I read on another board of guys receiving a mix of both. Heck of a deal, but especially for an LE

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
quote:

ariana gif

Curious if yours is a CR or LE prefix? I read on another board of guys receiving a mix of both. Heck of a deal, but especially for an LE

Mine is an LE.

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
You scored! I wish I had seen that deal before they sold out.

Posts: 1846 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
More Colt police trade ins in stock at aim. Heavy barreled models?

https://aimsurplus.com/product...gpul-handguard-black

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, 6721 is 1:9 chrome lined heavy barrel.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
quote:
quote:

Ones in stock are 6920/ 1:7 twist

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4650 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ones in stock are 6920/ 1:7 twist

Okay, good. I ordered one because they have them listed at 5 lbs and 1/7 twist. I don’t really want a heavy barrel.

posted Hide Post
I got a Sig M400 X and its a great shooter for my first AR. thourghly pleased with it.

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post