SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which AR for the Money...under $1500
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which AR for the Money...under $1500 Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
Been looking at upper tier AR's like Daniel Defense, Geissele, Sons of Liberty, BCM, LMT, etc. Most I've seen advertised for near $1500, found an ugly green Liberty for under $900, black model runs near $1400. So, what's the best juice for the squeeze? I can nearly purchase 2 Liberties for a little more money than the others listed. Would love to have ambi-controls, but not at the $2K price point mfg's seem to what to charge for it.

Thanks in advance!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3631 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like BCM. I have two full factory BCM's. I have 6 other rifles that I built on Aero lowers with BCM uppers and parts. BCM makes great stuff at decent prices. The rest of mine a Colt and Troy Defense.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I would buy BCM..or Geissele. or a Barrett if they were close.

II will never own a DD.

https://www.recoilweb.com/dani...orkforce-130055.html

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Arms Unlimited and a few others are flipping Colt 6920's for $950. That leaves you $550 for a red dot, or ammo, or training, or....you get the point.

It's the standard. Sure there are more "gucci" AR's, arguably "better" in some ways....I own a few of those as well.

That said, a Colt is a Colt. You won't go wrong.

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
I'm afraid that's no longer true, and hasn't been for several years.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If I had to pick a $1500 AR I would choose Sons of Liberty Gunworks, I have 2 of their 13.7” set up the same except one with red dot the other LPVO. The fit and finish on them are right up there with my other rifles that are more expensive.

If the budget was a little higher I would go KAC upper and LMT mars lower for your ambi controls.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Either pick your parts and build it, or get a BCM for that price. My Daniel Defense is my favorite, but they've gotten pretty expensive.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

If you're trying to sell a mistake, buy a Colt. After that, the AR world is wide and full of quality. $1500 is a quality AR. Colt isn't trash, but unless you need to sell it to pay rent, why settle?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
LMT are nice guns and not always the first brand to get snatched up.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I never could find exactly what I was looking for, so I did my first build, I now understand why so many people are hooked on building their own. For $1500 you can put together one heck of a rifle if you do it yourself.

Posts: 3574 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Basically, price point difference is quality of parts and quality of the build. The only thing I care about today is is the lower true and in spec? When you get to the quality level of DD, BCM, Geissele, FN, Etc that answer is always yes.

And in the $1500 price range, I’d pick the rifle that has the features you want and roll with it. I have a lot of experience with Doublestar and Springfield on the “lower” end. The rifles I have inspected have great quality lowers. I have been shooting a Saint since the first of the year to prove a point. (Point is kinda moot now because the guy I was trying to prove the point to got fired a couple of months ago). But the data still exists. I’m north of 11k down the pipe and it has been a great shooting $750 rifle.

I’m partial to DD, BCM and Geissele in the price range you mentioned. Never buy anything from Geissele until they run a sale.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fischtown7:
I never could find exactly what I was looking for, so I did my first build, I now understand why so many people are hooked on building their own. For $1500 you can put together one heck of a rifle if you do it yourself.

My objective as well.
My first was not a complete AR but I did buy a completed upper and built my lower.
It was a CMMG complete upper and stripped CMMG lower from Aim Surplus and have long since disassembled it, sold off the parts and rebuilt in a more defined version of my liking.

Posts: 22921 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Hhhmmm ok that's news to me that I need to catch up on. I haven't bought a Colt rifle in a few years, so what changed? If anything, I thought they were just boringly reliable without much innovation.

I like my Noveske's, LWRC's and Scionics more for a lot of reasons but they cost significantly more as well. I've just never had reason to question the Colt as any less reliable or capable and it's sad to hear others saying they've gone down hill in that regard.

I'm all ears..

Posts: 824 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't bought a Colt rifle in a few years, so what changed?
You'll need to invest a few minutes and watch this video.

You mentioned Arms Unlimited. It wasn't too long ago that your post would have got caught in the queue, because for several years, the name "Arms Unlimited" was not allowed in this forum.

I bought a Colt BCG from them, around 2017 IIRC. When it arrived, the parts were not marked as they had been for many years- a "C" stamped on the carrier, etc.

I contacted them to return the part. They did not want to take back the part, stating that it was Colt OEM. They were adamant about this. I was forced to dispute the transaction. The CC company, not knowing jack shit about the point of contention, sided with Arms Unlimited, but then suddenly AU agreed to take back the part.

I was quite dissatisfied with the whole ting and for years, you couldn't mention AU in this forum.

However, over time, it became clear to me that AU did, in fact, obtain the BCG from Colt, and Colt who was sourcing parts from other vendors.

If you watch the video, you'll see what I am talking about.

The M4-style rifles that Colt built their 21st Century reputation on, started to not be the same rifles issued to the U.S. military after Colt lost the contract to FN. Starting around 2010 or 2012, Colt began using vendors other than what they had been.

Bottom line is that current Colts are still reliable rifles, but the only thing they have now which makes them special is the marking on the left side of the receiver.

I have a 6920LE produced in 2012 and it's a really nice rifle. I have a couple of Colts produced in 2014 and they are also really nice, but after about 2016, I would choose something else.

Nothing lasts. Products of high quality, if produced over a long time, tend to become cheapened; cost-cutting manufacturing techniques and/or materials get used, in order (I guess) for manufacturers to maintain their bottom line. Colt is not immune to this.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I think FN is currently making some of the best off the shelf non boutique ARs.

All I have come across have been superb fit, finish, and quality.
Their cold hammer forged barrels are some of the best on the market. If I were to buy an AR today it could be a Tac3. Comes equipped with a Radian charging handle and safety selector which tend to be my go to upgrades if I build a rifle.
https://fnamerica.com/products...les/fn-15-tac3-duty/

The Guardian is not a bad option for a lower price but loose the hammer forged barrel.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I have Colt, Noveske, RRA, and SOLGW rifles. My 13.7" and 13.9" SOLGW are my favorites. They also have the best warranty in the business. Shoot out the barrel, they'll replace it. Burns up in a house fire, they'll replace it. Use it in a lawful shooting and taken for evidence, they'll replace it.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
How about S&W M&P-15 Sport II rifles?

They've been big sellers in local gun stores and this article suggests its nationwide:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...-auto-rifle-of-2020/

They must be of pretty good value.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have had a good run with my BCM mid length. I don't know the round count off hand but it's enough to feel it's vetted and ready to run.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
One of my shooting buddies just bought a complete BCM lower from a local store for $399 and complete 16” BCM ELW Mlok upper (less charging handle) for $700 straight from BCM. Looks like a complete rifle is $1600-$1700, buying separately saved him $500 or so.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Likely below your price point. A few years ago(4) I bought a PSA AR for about $500 on a St Patty’s Day sale. I checked it out, lubed it, then gave it a chance.

I’m not going to tout any accuracy claims, never really tested that. I will say it functions just fine, 16” barrel.

In some ways, the entry level AR is the new 10/22.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post