SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help needed with scope on M1A
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed with scope on M1A Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
I purchased an M1A precision 6.5 Creedmoor and ordered a Sadlak mount, Vortex low precision rings, and a 6.5x20 Sig BDX scope package with the rangefinder. After months of waiting all the parts came in and I got the scope mounted, everything torqued as specified. Today I went to the range and shot for zero. It was waaaay low and I adjusted for elevation knob to move the POI UP until I hit the travel stop. As far as I can see there is no way to bypass the stop. It is still shooting 8" low at 100 yards but the three shot group is the size of a dime. Scratching my head how to raise the POI. Where did I go wrong? The scope manual is no help.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Shimming the rear scope mount will do in a pinch but I don’t know if you can even do it on that one.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shim the rings

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shim the rings, make sure base is level

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The cartridge clip guide insert can be flipped over to change the angle of the scope mount. Very few people know about it.

You'll notice there's a step in the clip guide insert. If the step is on the top, it's going to tilt your scope up which will bring your POI lower. Reinstall the insert so that the step is on the bottom. That will bring your POI up.

You can also rotate the cam lever clockwise which will slide the scope mount back which will raise the back of the Picatinny rail and lower the front end. Make sure you back off the front recoil tension screw first and then reset it when you have a better angle.

Tony.

The angle of the scope mount is adjustable.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This is a great help I will try these fixes and get back with you

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

You can also rotate the cam lever clockwise which will slide the scope mount back which will raise the back of the Picatinny rail and lower the front end. Make sure you back off the front recoil tension screw first and then reset it when you have a better angle.

Tony.

The angle of the scope mount is adjustable.

I tried the shim method and it did not raise POI enough. So I did the Sadlak mount cam lever adjustment and boom, it brought me into the target. Thanks for the advice, I am on the money now. Best Regards

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Fantastic news! Made my day!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We have GOT to see some photos of your setup now.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post