SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ambidextrous AR-15 recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ambidextrous AR-15 recommendations? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
The husband of a friend of my wife wanted to get an AR-15 and liked the huge selection and great prices from PSA and we got him an M4-style PSA with their EDP trigger (similar to the ALG ACT but not quite as nice IMO)

I had him put a Daniel Defense A1.5 rear sight on it because PSA supplied him only with a Magpul polymer folding rear sight. Vickers VCAS, Surefire M340 WML, gen2 PMAGS, Federal M193 and Winchester RA556B.

He and I went to the range so he could try his rifle. He had never before shot an AR-15 and couldn't recall the last time he shot a rifle of any kind. We got him sighted in with a 50/200 zero.

He's left-handed and commented on the awkward handling of the rifle whose controls are intended for right-hand operation. I told him that there are ambidextrous lower receivers available, and complete rifles built on such lowers.

He had a chance to handle and shoot a couple of my rifles and noted how much smoother was their operation, so he now realizes what we mean by 'entry-level' AR-15s. I think be paid 479.00 for his PSA.

Given all of this, he's now in search of a second AR, which I counseled from the beginning with "Two is one, one is none."

I told him I would be happy to help him build a rifle on an ambi lower, such as the LMT Mars-L, or the ADM or Radian lower but that assembling a rifle from components can get bloody expensive.

That being the case, I recommended purchase of a complete rifle. First stop was the Daniel Defense DD4 RIII, available on Gunbroker for the smart shopper at just above 2000.00.

What else do you guys like for an ambi AR that might be a bit less pricey? I think he'll end up going with the DD but he liked my Trijicon scope so he's going to be investing a thousand in a scope and mount and that puts him above 3K before adding in everything else, such as a Geissele trigger.

He's got the cash to spare but you can imagine his shock at starting out with a sub-500 dollar rifle and all of a sudden, he's an AR guy with fancy-shmansy gear. Big Grin

Also, I was most emphatic about stockpiling ammunition. He emailed me today and said he just ordered another thousand rounds of M193.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109285 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
For me, I don't see any real benefit with ambi lowers.

Here's what I do to any "regular" lower:

Configurable ambi safety with short/long levers - short left side, long right side - Radian, Geissele, Colt
Enhanced bolt stop paddle - so I can reach and actuate it with my left hand index finger - Radian or Geissele
Mag Catch - Norgon Ambi-Catch

That's really all I need. Ambi bolt stops don't provide any benefit as they are on the "wrong" side. I can see how a right handed person would want them though.

Add a good ambi charging handle - Radian, Geissele, Badger Ordnance - and you are good to go.

Now, the DD RIII ambi is nice. Personally I find the RISIII handguard to be a bit large in diameter, and I don't need the two-piece design to remove the bottom half and attach an M203. But if it feels good in the shooter's hand, then it's fine. I asked DD at the NRA show last year if they will offer the ambi lower with the slimmer handguards and they said that was in the works.

Stag is owned by Aero now and is a decent choice, especially if a left eject upper is desirable. But the lowers are still "regular" with a left handed safety, so the bolt stop and mag catch would need to be upgraded. And of course Sig's ambi lowers aren't too bad either but the safety can't be reversed to put the long side on the right so I replace them. Not a huge fan of Sig's complete AR's though.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
He's left-handed and commented on the awkward handling of the rifle whose controls are intended for right-hand operation.

How about a left-handed AR15?

A friend in CA bought a Stag one years ago, I don't know if they still sell them, but Rock River does.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/...splay&category_ID=13

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17243 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Configurable ambi safety with short/long levers - short left side, long right side - Radian, Geissele, Colt
Enhanced bolt stop paddle - so I can reach and actuate it with my left hand index finger - Radian or Geissele
You may be on the right track. He's already getting a Radian CH because one of my rifles he shot has one and he loves it.

He had been asking me about Daniel Defense when he first started looking at rifles. It seems DD's marketing has been quite effective, as he was thinking DD is absolute top tier.

posted Hide Post
"[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

That's really all I need. Ambi bolt stops don't provide any benefit as they are on the "wrong" side. I can see how a right handed person would want them though.

Add a good ambi charging handle - Radian, Geissele, Badger Ordnance - and you are good to

Stag is owned by Aero now and is a decent choice, especially if a left eject upper is desirable. "
^^^^^^^

This
I also just purchased a LH upper from Aero (on sale for appx $295.00) and LH BCG
The upper is unbranded but I assume it is a Stag.
Aero was not offering LH uppers until recently on their website
Note: I run an Aero M4E1 lower with the modifications suggested by Lefty Sig

Bob

Posts: 127 | Location: Northeast | Registered: January 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Primary Weapons Systems in Boise offers full ambi rifles. Their customer service is exemplary as well.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8799 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’m a lefty and all I ever do is ambi selector, and ambi charging handle.

Standard lower parts are widely available but I would assume not so much on a dedicated lefty gun. Also, if I need to shoot a standard AR, it’s not a steep learning curve. And he can easily do that on his PSA gun, as well as the new gun and have two identical guns instead of two mirror images, which would be very confusing in a time of crisis.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8025 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, good point

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Noveske has ambi. lowers in stock.

https://noveske.com/products/gen-4-lower-receiver/

Posts: 1669 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Noveske has ambi. lowers in stock.

https://noveske.com/products/gen-4-lower-receiver/

Looks like this comes with a Norgon Ambi-Catch (or similar) and a standard bolt stop paddle. The only addition is the right side bolt release, which is not of much benefit when shooting left handed. The extra fencing around the Ambi-Catch could help prevent an unintentional mag drop though.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
I’m a lefty and I’ve been very happy with just adding an ambi charging handle and an ambi safety to my ARs. I’m good with the stock bolt release and mag release so I haven’t really felt the need to address those functions.

I’ve had good luck with ambi parts from Radian, BCM and Badger Ordnance.

Posts: 350 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he's set on a new complete blaster, ADM is an easy choice. Starting at $1,475 complete at MSRP, less if you can catch a sale.

https://www.admmfg.com/rifles

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 996 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Sig M400 and it has a lot of ambi controls and can be found sub $900. My brother in law wanted an ar-15 and I stupidly handed him my M400 to shoot and he fell in love with it. He pleaded with me to sell it to him and I relinquished it at a family discount. I hope to get another as they are solidly built guns.

Posts: 7111 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Even though they are pricey AF, the Radian lowers are the most well designed ambi versions I've messed with. I liked them more than the Noveske. Also, I'm really starting to dig the bolt locking feature using the magazine release button. It is so much easier than having to use a traditional bolt release.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17648 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A decent list was compiled here. The focus was on lowers, but it's likely that most of the companies offer full rifles too.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...010013705#1010013705

I have done and still do what Lefty Sig suggested. The Norgon mag release, an "enhanced" paddle ( I use Badger), and an ambi safety with the less-used side shorter than the more-used. side. The Badger paddle wouldn't be much help to a lefty though.

Posts: 2491 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Stag Arms is the way to go for a lefty. Left sided ejection port.
Add larger mag release.
Add larger bolt release--Gisselle Maritime. Lefty uses his index finger to release bolt.

Posts: 2378 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have a SIG M400 Enhanced which is mostly ambi. The newer M400 SDI is even more ambi with a lefty bolt release also.

I have had superb luck with my M400, finding it smooth, reliable, and accurate.

I did put an ALG ACT in it, but the new SDI comes standard with an improved trigger.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12967 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Maybe a JP? Looks like use some parts or design from Radian.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1..._select=rif_buy_menu

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8370 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27714 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I'm lefty but shoot just as good righty. My take after 20 years is I only use both sides of the selector and the charging handle. The ambi bolt catch and mag release on my LMT are basically useless to me and if anything a burden because they could possibly engage with contact when I don't want it.

I got lucky because this means those 2 parts, the ambi charge and safety are all I need and every standard AR is easily changed to that.

I never found the ejection to be a problem for me. Gas with a can maybe but I feel the gas righty too.

That said I'm a right hand writer, baseball thrower, pistol but lefty hockey and rifle.

I'm also used to reg AR mag release and bolt catch and with a billion of them out there I think there's something to be said for that.

But a newbie could be taught on an ambi if they are, for instance, a natural left hander all around and it is more natural for them, seems like.

Funny how fast he goes from the bottom dollar PSA to the top. Just be sure to let him know 20 years later he will probably still be doing the same thing and there's no known cure. The disease achieves full spectrum dominance and you become a slave to it. Big Grin

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 7039 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post